[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] New Deadline - 26 July 2019 - input on updated draft Final Report and outstanding questions

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu Jul 25 17:13:28 UTC 2019

> The point is that ICANN can create a structure/department that can act
> autonomously

I'm sorry, but that completely misses the point of PTI.  It exists as a
separate subsidiary because it has multiple clients: the RIRs, the IETF,
and ICANN.  As I may have mentioned once or twice, that's irrelevant to
this CCWG.

ICANN can authorize a department to act however it wants so long as it
complies with ICANN's mission and US and California law.  There is no need
to add extra layers of corporate or other structure.  All that's needed is
a resolution from the board setting it up.

By the way, Alan reminded me that I conflated options B and C.  The
captive foundation is option C.  Option B, is as far as I can tell, the
same as option A with extra layers of bureaucracy which, of course, would
again add complexity with no advantage to anyone.  The only option that
makes any sense is A.

R's,
John