[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Auction Proceeds Mechanism A - Internal Department at ICANN

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed Nov 20 14:59:21 UTC 2019

This addresses the concern. But I have a secondary question.

Is it necessary to say "The reason for this..."? Maybe start the next
sentence with "The Board decision in any review...".

Sam Lanfranco

On 11/20/2019 3:22 AM, Emily Barabas wrote:

> Hi Alan, Erika, and everyone,
>
> Would this proposed edit address the concern you are raising?
>
> "The CCWG did agree that appropriate measures must be taken that would
> exclude *the use of* applicants from using ICANN accountability
> measures such as IRP in relation to challenges for individual
> applications. The reason for this recommendation is that the Board
> decision in any review context would be in relation to the overall
> program’s disbursement of funds based on the recommendations of the
> independent evaluation panel and not as a result of the ICANN’s Board
> assessment of an individual application.
>
> (...)
>
> CCWG Recommendation #NEW: Applicants *and other parties* should not
> have access to ICANN accountability mechanisms such as IRP *or other
> appeal mechanisms* to challenge a decision from the independent
> evaluation panel to not approve their application, but applicants not
> selected should receive further details about where information can be
> found about the next round of applications as well as any educational
> materials that may be available to assist applicants.”
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Emily
>
> *From: *Ccwg-auctionproceeds <ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org>
> on behalf of Erika Mann <erika at erikamann.com>
> *Date: *Wednesday, 20 November 2019 at 07:14
> *To: *Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
> *Cc: *"ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org" <ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Auction Proceeds Mechanism A -
> Internal Department at ICANN
>
> You’re absolutely right. We already said we would do this.
>
> Erika
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> On Nov 19, 2019, at 8:50 PM, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
> <mailto:alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>> wrote:
>
>     I agree that we should make a simple statement that ICANN's
>     accountability measures cannot be used in relation to Auction
>     Proceeds grant requests (regardless of who might file them). This
>     has nothing to do with the approval of annual budgets. If the EC
>     decides that the tranch allocated in the budget is not
>     appropriate, it can still take action under its powers. We are
>     proposing nothing related to the powers of the EC itself.
>
>     I presume the Board will ultimately approve whatever it approves
>     contingent on the Fundamental Bylaw change being approved by the
>     EC. If the EC does not approve it, we are back to square one (or
>     somewhere, but do not have an Auction Proceeds plan that is workable).
>
>     If there are auction proceeds from further rounds, AND the ICANN
>     Board decides they go into te same post as we have now, fine. If
>     there are no auction proceeds or if they are designated for
>     something else. fine.
>
>     Regarding Bylaws 25.4, note that the lead-in words are "for
>     avoidance of doubt". The earlier section of 25 explicitly call out
> [...]

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honored in an
  unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus), Econ, York U., CANADA
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852