[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Auction Proceeds Mechanisms

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu Nov 21 21:15:30 UTC 2019

/First a little humor. /As U.S. actor-turned-President Ronald Reagan
liked to say: “/There you [I] go again/”.

I would like to approach the issue of Mechanisms and Costs in a reverse
order. If we start from the deliverables, they are the same for each
Mechanism, and baring different Mechanisms facing different prices for
similar skills, the overall dollar costs should be about the same. Thus,
costs probably should not be a deciding factor in ranking preferences
for Mechanisms A, B, and C. All three options will be approached of
course with “…a best practice approach with a prudent and modest
administrative cost allocation.”

There may be some cost savings from Mechanism B depending on how partner
expertise is costed out, and there may be some one-time additional cost
to set up a Foundation for Mechanism C. ICANN services and staff
provided for Mechanism A (and B) would probably be costed competitively
to those provided by others within Mechanisms B and C.

In my view a best practice approach to making the Mechanism choice is to
complete this Work Phase focused on the complicated issues we have
explored, what we want the Mechanism to do, and how we want it to work.
This is then handed off to the Implementation Phase, along with comments
(and questions) about the issues relevant for ranking A, B and C. These
might include elapsed time to implementation (i.e., how long to the
first round of grant applications), prospects for receiving additional
funds from other sources, (to do more things or do things longer) and
the like.

In this scenario the Implementation Phase would be where the Mechanism
choice was identified, and then subject to whatever ICANN stakeholder
approval process is appropriate. If we are to make that choice at this
Work Phase, we need to make a list of the factors, other than costs,
about what evidence we need to assess, and what decisions (e.g. open to
supplemental funding) need to be made before ranking the Mechanisms.

Sam L.