[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Auction Proceeds Mechanisms

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed Nov 27 23:11:44 UTC 2019

John,

I fear that you have misunderstood and jumped to conclusions here. I
have no idea how the current negotiations around the .org registry will
play out, and of course under no circumstances would it, or any new gTLD
registry rest with ICANN.

If there is an unspoken assumption here, it is that if (IF) there were a
new non-profit gTLD registry, it would likely use profits for the ways
envisioned for the Mechanisms. much the way ISOC has with PIR. It was
presented as a "/What if/..." food for thought, and not a "/Somebody
should/..." suggestion.

Sorry that was not clear enough.

Sam Lanfranco

On 11/27/2019 5:34 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
>> However, whatever new gTLD auction proceeds Mechanism materializes,
>> it involves building capacity to administer a grant making process.
>> It is worth noting that if the .org registry needed a new home or
>> especially if a new public interest gTLD were to be created, an
>> option would be to create the registry out of the selected Mechanism,
>> an entity that would have considerable expertise and hit the ground
>> running.
>
> I am a trustee of the Internet Society and I find this comment to be
> totally out of line.
>
> ICANN cannot own a registry (other than the tiny and ancient .INT) and
> the process of running a registry has nothing in common with
> evaluating and giving grants.  In the unlikely event that the .org
> sale doesn't complete, the .org registry will still belong to ISOC as
> it does now.
>
> Regards,
> John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
> Dummies",
> Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honored in an
  unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus), Econ, York U., CANADA
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852