[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Auction Proceeds Mechanisms

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu Nov 28 00:02:37 UTC 2019

Thanks James and John,

Here is an attempt to reformat my /Food for Thought/ long look into the
future.

There are two processes underway:

  * This ccWG is dealing with an implementation mechanism, and ranking
    Mechanisms, to handle a new gTLD auction proceeds grants process.

  * At ISOC, there is the pending sale of PIR and the .org registry to a
    private investment group

Should the sale go through, time will tell the extent to which the
not-for-profit community feels that the .org registry is operating in
the public interest.

At the same time the selected Mechanism for handling the new gTLD
auction proceeds will have built up considerable expertise managing grants.

If (and I stress “if”) there were demand for a new not-for-profit/public
interest gTLD, the registry would have to go somewhere. The Mechanism
handling the new gTLD auction proceeds would have a track record and may
be in a good position to handle a similar grants process. Could a
Mechanism that is arm’s length from ICANN also handle a registry? Yes,
no, why not? It is an acquired skill.

In conclusion I am raising two possibilities. One is that there may be a
need for a new not-for-profit public interest gTLD. The other is that
the Mechanism selected for the new gTLD auction proceeds may have a
useful second life, should a new gTLD come to pass. Time will tell. As
for betting on outcomes. I won't do that.

Sam Lanfranco