[ccwg-internet-governance] Fwd: proposal for charter ( for discussion) submitted today the brasil input wg

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Dec 11 20:10:01 UTC 2013


Thanks Evan, but what Rafik did was to simplify & streamline the
original charter bases which Mikey had prepared. So let's work on the
thinner charter than the full size starting material.
Kindest regards,

Olivier

On 11/12/2013 17:53, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> The original draft, from Mikey, can be found at:
> http://www.cloudmikey.com/wiki/projects/cwgcharterdraft/CWG_charter_draft.html
>
>
>
> On 11 December 2013 12:46, Ken Stubbs <kstubbs at afilias.info
> <mailto:kstubbs at afilias.info>> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>     -------- Original Message --------
>     Subject: 	proposal for charter ( for discussion) submitted today
>     the brasil input wg
>     Date: 	Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:45:13 -0500
>     From: 	Ken Stubbs <kstubbs at afilias.info>
>     <mailto:kstubbs at afilias.info>
>     To: 	GTLD Registries <regycon at googlegroups.com>
>     <mailto:regycon at googlegroups.com>
>
>
>
>       Charter
>
>
>      *
>
>
>
>       * Added by Rafik Dammak
>         <https://community.icann.org/display/%7Erafik.dammak>, last
>         edited by Rafik Dammak
>         <https://community.icann.org/display/%7Erafik.dammak> on Dec
>         11, 2013  (view change
>         <https://community.icann.org/pages/diffpages.action?pageId=43985839&originalId=43987450>)
>
>
>     Go to start of metadata
>     <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?spaceKey=CPMMB&title=Charter#page-metadata-start>
>
>
>
>             *Problem Statement *
>
>     What is the problem to be solved? 
>
>     Prepare for ICANN-community participation in the upcoming meeting
>     in Brazil
>
>     How does not solving this problem get in the way of achieving the
>     organisation's objectives? 
>
>     The ICANN community might miss opportunities to contribute to the
>     dialog and outcomes of the meeting. Also, not involving the ICANN
>     community in the preparation of this meeting will make it
>     impossible for this to be a community-led, bottom up preparation
>     process.
>
>     What value does the organization gain from solving this problem? 
>
>     Engage in a bottom-up led conversation to advance the agenda
>     articulated in the Montevideo Statement
>
>
>             What is the chronology of the situation - how did we get
>             here? 
>
>     http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-07oct13-en.htmMontevideo
>     Statement
>
>     Idea of CCWG floated in the early-morning community meeting at ICANN48
>
>     On Thursday, ALAC and NCSG create a working group which the whole
>     ICANN community is invited to join.
>
>
>             What alternatives to doing this project have we explored? 
>
>     The alternative is to NOT get involved as a community in the
>     Brazil meeting nor the 1net coordination. This risks having parts
>     of the community involved in an unstructured way thus bringing an
>     imbalance to the input provided by the ICANN community in the 1net
>     process.
>
>
>             Stakeholders 
>
>     All Stakeholders at ICANN. 
>
>     Who will be affected by the problem? 
>
>     Absolutely everyone. ICANN's model is at risk.
>
>
>             Which employees? 
>
>     ICANN policy staff - from two perspectives: support and policy-input
>     ICANN senior staff - from two perspectives: strategy and goal
>     alignment, and funding/logistics
>
>
>               Stakeholders? 
>
>     All ICANN AC/SO's and stakeholders group/constituencies within
>     them may have an interest. 
>
>
>              Others? 
>
>     Potential for including groups that are not part of ICANN.
>     Suggestion that the different SO/AC/SGs should reach out to their
>     respective communities outside ICANN and let them know this work
>     is taking place, channeling any of their concerns via them as
>     their representative. 
>
>
>             Have they been involved sufficiently up to this point? 
>
>     There is a sense of being left in the dark that is quite prevalent
>     in the community right now.  This effort presents an opportunity
>     to broaden engagement and make the process more transparent.
>
>
>             Should they be brought in to the project?  When?
>
>     While there is a small risk of too many voices causing confusion,
>     the posture of this effort is that broad engagement and
>     participation are welcome.  Smaller groups can be formed if things
>     become unwieldy example : a kind of pyramidal structure where
>     there will indeed be splinter groups or sub-working groups that
>     will come back to the wider group to report. 
>
>
>             To what degree do they share the belief that this is a
>             problem that needs to be solved? 
>
>     Broad agreement that the ICANN community needs to participate
>     effectively in the Brazil meeting
>
>
>             Who ought to 'champion' this project? 
>
>     As this is a cross-community effort, AC/SO/Constituency leadership
>     should champion
>
>
>             To whom should the project team report? 
>
>     Facilitators who will help with the communication of information
>     between the various groups & the Board & Staff. Co-Chairs who will
>     direct the work itself. 
>
>
>             Do we need a Steering Committee to provide resources and
>             resolve disputes? 
>
>     Yes -- include AC/SO/Constituency chairs and staff leaders (at
>     least one from policy staff and one from senior staff).  The goals
>     are speedy formation, infrequent interventions and nimble/helpful
>     response when needed.
>
>
>             Scope, Size and Perspective 
>
>     What written definition clearly distinguishes between what is
>     inside this project, and what is outside? 
>
>     In scope:
>
>     Discuss logistical questions related to attending and
>     participating in the Brazil meeting
>
>     Identify representatives to attend the meeting
>
>     Develop mechanisms whereby in-person participants can inform, and
>     obtain guidance from, remote participants during the course of the
>     meeting
>
>
>             In scope?
>
>     start creating position papers & put them on a WIKI & then from
>     these position papers, see what commonality the different writers
>     have. 
>
>     Provide a point of contact between ICANN and the broader 1Net
>     initiative?
>
>
>             Out of scope
>
>     Provide input to the Internet Governance Strategic Panel
>
>
>             What is the level of detail and precision involved in this
>             effort - is this a sweeping global effort (like a vision
>             or strategy) or is this a project to produce specific
>             outcomes (like install a system, or build a house)? 
>
>     This is a narrowly-focused effort to prepare the ICANN community
>     for a new meeting that is  a few months away.  this group should
>     spend most of its time on the content -- certainly not finding
>     answers, but certainly finding the right questions to launch into
>     the debate that will take place in Brazil. 
>
>
>             Goals & Objectives 
>
>     What tangible, deliverable things do we want to see when this
>     project is completed? 
>
>     To convey message from the ICANN community to Brazil meeting about
>     common positions and also diverse opinions from ICANN groups
>     regarding the issues to be covered by the meeting
>
>     This project will provide ICANN with clear positions that it will
>     be able to hold at the Brazil Summit thus parrying attacks on the
>     multi-stakeholder model 
>
>     How do we know when the project is done? 
>
>     This effort will conclude shortly after the end of the Brazil meeting
>
>
>             Critical Success Factors 
>
>     What things do we need to do well in order for this project to
>     succeed? 
>
>     Remain focused on the narrow scope of preparing for Brazil
>
>     Try to put aside historic rivalries and mistrust
>
>     Focus more on the message and less on positions/logistics/politics.
>
>     Work to a short-interval schedule
>
>     Focus the work on email lists, wikis and other asynchronous
>     tools.  Use periodic teleconferences sparingly and wisely
>
>     Build relationships and trust, both inside and outside of ICANN 
>
>
>             Preferred Problem-Solving Approach 
>
>     These questions are the socket into which a work plan is
>     inserted.  Revisit them once the broad outlines of the charter are
>     agreed. 
>
>
>             Who will do what tasks, with whom, by what date? 
>
>     What are the intermediate milestone events and deliverables that
>     we can use as checkpoints to monitor the progress of the project? 
>
>
>             Are they more than 1 or 2 weeks apart? 
>
>     Do we need more (or fewer) tasks and milestones to keep the
>     project under a reasonable level of control?  
>
>
>             What's the mechanism for getting things back on track if
>             the project is missing key dates?
>
>     setting a roadmap
>
>      
>
>
>     Write a comment...
>
>
>
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     <http://www.avast.com/> 	
>
>     This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
>     Antivirus <http://www.avast.com/> protection is active.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     <http://www.avast.com/> 	
>
>     This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
>     Antivirus <http://www.avast.com/> protection is active.
>
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     ccwg-internet-governance mailing list
>     ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
>     <mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>
>     https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ccwg-internet-governance
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> Evan Leibovitch
> Toronto Canada
>
>     Em: evan at telly dot org
>     Sk: evanleibovitch
>     Tw: el56
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ccwg-internet-governance mailing list
> ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ccwg-internet-governance

-- 
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ccwg-internet-governance/attachments/20131211/c9fb02fe/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the ccwg-internet-governance mailing list