[ccwg-internet-governance] What is open, what is limited?

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Dec 11 20:31:06 UTC 2013

Dear Bill,

thanks for this note and apologies for going through this quickly at the
end of the call.

There are several aspects to our working lists & conference calls and
this is what I suggest:

*Transparency*
As ICANN is open to all participation and in the interest of
transparency, our conference calls as well as our mailing list should be
"open" to everyone.

*Speaking/Writing rights*
With the premise that anyone can dial in on a conference call and anyone
can subscribe to the mailing list (for convenience I figured it would be
better to have a mailing list that's open for everyone to subscribe to
rather than asking people to read the proceedings on the mailing list's
archive) the question then comes to the differentiation between
observers and WG members.

- Calls
Everyone can dial into the call but only officially designated
representatives (ie: members of the CCWG) can speak/intervene. People
dialled in the call that do not have a right to speak can channel their
input through their official representatives. The person Chairing the
call & Staff will make sure this guideline is adhered to.

- Mailing list
Everyone can be subscribed to the mailing list but only Official
designated representatives (ie. members of the CCWG) may post to the
list. Observers of the CCWG have their "moderation flag on" which means
any posting from them will go to the list moderator which at the moment
is Staff - so it doesn't get distributed to everyone. Again, this is
done in order to have observers channel their input through their
designated members.
The moderation flag is something which Staff will need to set manually
but it is straight forward.

*In Camera Discussions*

>From time to time, there might be a need for the WG to work "in camera"
during a conference call - ie. confidentially. The recording will be
stopped and all participants on the call accounted for, with any non WG
participants (observers) asked to leave the call. At this stage, I do
not expect any "in camera" discussions, but I've said that many times in
past working groups until the day when we needed to have such a discussion.

We could be picky and give "official observers" a special status so they
could remain in the "in camera" discussions if we wanted to.

I hope this proposal is satisfactory for everyone. Feedback appreciated.