[ccwg-internet-governance] Omnibus CCWG-IG or separate CCWG-IANA?

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 09:37:20 UTC 2014

Hi Keith

I’m taking the liberty of aligning the subject line with the subject.

On Apr 4, 2014, at 10:48 PM, Drazek, Keith <kdrazek at verisign.com> wrote:

> Is the CCWG-IG the right group to focus on IANA 2.0, or should it be another CCWG? It seems that there may be value in the existing CCWG-IG completing its Charter and retaining a broader focus on general IG matters, of which the NTIA announcement and future IANA are just a narrow. albeit important, subset. I guess I'm wondering if we'd be better served with 2 separate CCWGs to appropriately handle these issues before us in 2014. The answer probably depends on the charter language and whether we think a single group can handle it all. I welcome any/all views.  Thanks, Keith

This was the subject of many a conversation in Singapore, particularly it seemed at the well lubricated Verisign reception.  I heard some people argue that IANA is not IG and therefore separate groups are needed, which strikes me a substantively nonsensical.  A more compelling consideration I think is simple pragmatism: ccNSO leaders appeared to say in two meetings I attended (they can please correct if I misunderstood) that they would pull out of the CCWGIG if it tried to take on IANA, and other stakeholder group leaders also have expressed reservations about this group doing it and suggested a clean start.  We could spend many cycles debating the history-laden perceptions and rationales behind this, but at the end of the day if important parts of the community are dug in on the notion of a second group and we’re trying to operate in a communal manner, there’s probably no much to be gained by trying to force things.  In addition, from a pragmatic standpoint, a real process on IANA in the time frame needed would most likely become so all consuming that the CCWGIG might have little ability to engage on the broader contours of IG and ICANN’s roles in the ecosystem.  And there are actual issues there...

So while we hardly need more mailing lists to subscribe to, I would argue for the path of least resistance.

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland