[ccwg-internet-governance] [IANAxfer] [ianatransition] Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Aug 4 13:23:24 UTC 2014

Tracy,

See my comments in line below.

Steve

On Aug 4, 2014, at 8:56 AM, Michel S. Gauthier <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:

> Tracy,
>
> this word in the internet community comes from Doug Engelbart's theory you will find documented on http://www.dougengelbart.org/.

The word “bootstrap” is *much* older than the network community.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping for a brief explanation.

Early computers had bootstrap loaders.  These were very small programs that read in the rest of the operating system.  The hardware had a “boot sequence” triggered by an external button.  The boot sequence was usually the equivalent of a small number of instructions, e.g. one to three instructions, to get the process started.  That is, pressing the boot button on the outside of computer would cause it to execute the boot sequence.  The boot sequence would initiate a read from an external device, e.g. a card reader, to read in the boot loader.  Once the boot loader was in memory and running, it would then read in the rest of the operating system and turn control over to it.

> Doug is the father of this community as he hired several of its founders and created the NIC (Network Intelligence Cnter) and the RFC system.

Network INFORMATION Center.

I coined the term Request for Comments (RFC) in April 1969 while I was working on the Arpanet project at UCLA.  It was the designator for notes produced by all members of the Network Working Group (NWG).  At first the NWG was representatives from the first four Arpanet sites, UCLA, SRI, UCSB and Utah, and then expanded as others prepared to join the network.

Engelbart’s lab at SRI had developed interactive graphics for text, including hyperlinks, and he invented the mouse and a five finger keyboard.  As the Arpanet expanded, Engelbart steered his lab toward supporting the network with an information center to house and distribute key documents.  The RFCs were part of that inventory.  Jon Postel, another graduate student at UCLA, took over the very lightweight management of the RFCs from me when I went to DARPA in June 1970, and he carried that task with him when he went first to Mitre Corp, to Engelbart’s lab at SRI and eventually to USC-ISI.  Over time, that very modest role of assigning numbers to RFCs expanded to the IANA function.

Steve