[ccwg-internet-governance] [ianatransition] [IANAxfer] Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Aug 4 17:17:24 UTC 2014

Sorry, I was out this after-noon when the telepresse mail was sent.

Let me correct a few things:

At 15:23 04/08/2014, Steve Crocker wrote:
> > this word in the internet community comes from Doug Engelbart's
> theory you will find documented on http://www.dougengelbart.org/.
>
>The word "bootstrap" is *much* older than the network
>community.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping for a
>brief explanation.

As you may read it in the Steve's explanation there are three meanings:
- either as in common language: bootstrapping usually refers to the
starting of a self-sustaining proces, i.e. an absurdly impossible action
- the computer industrry explanation that Steve gives. It would mean
that the ICG has a redetermined result to achieve. (by NTIA or BoD?)
- Doug Engelbart's "bootstrapping for innovation", which follows the
bootstraping paradigm (http://www.dougengelbart.org/vision/paradigm-map.html)

So you have the choice between the ICG being assigned a crazy, a
predecided, or an innovative job. May be a realistic definition.:-)

> > Doug is the father of this community as he hired several of its
> founders and created the NIC (Network Intelligence Cnter) and the RFC system.
>
>Network INFORMATION Center.

Yes. There was probably a confusion with
http://www.dougengelbart.org/projects/member-nics.html, Networked
Improvement Communities.

"A bootstrapping NIC is a NIC whose mission has to do with boosting
collective IQ, and is both provider and aggresssive pioneering user
of the technologies and/or best practices it delivers.".

I will not harp on my disagreement - not opposition with the Augment
Division. I was not alone and this is history. It was one the
important contribution to my "locality problem" evaluation in the
digitality context. The most important one at that time came from the
people behind the Tymshare OS and the Tymnet architecture: Ann and
Norman Hardy.

jfc