[ccwg-internet-governance] Coordination Group Charter, Public Comments

Tamer Rizk trizk at inficron.com
Sun Aug 17 20:07:44 UTC 2014

Hello Carlton,

The parallel transition of root zone maintenance to a structurally
separate, multilaterally steered, multistakeholder representative entity
is key to creating a bipartite, mutually accountable system of Internet
governance.

Thus, the transition of root zone maintenance should be considered
within the overall transition in great care to prevent conflicts of
interest, such that any consideration thereof is performed external to
the IANA functions operator, its associates, its functions and its
operations.

Please note the NTIA FAQ on the transition which is attached here and
quoted for reference below:

=CUT
Q. What impact does this announcement have on the cooperative agreement
with Verisign?

A. Aspects of the IANA functions contract are inextricably intertwined
with the VeriSign cooperative agreement (i.e., authoritative root zone
file management), which would require that NTIA coordinate a related and
parallel transition in these responsibilities.
=CUT

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/qa_-_iana-for_web_eop.pdf

Tamer