[ccwg-internet-governance] CSTD report/survey on the hundreds of places Internet policy is being worked on

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Mon Dec 8 18:17:58 UTC 2014

Greg and colleagues

Good afternoon.  Indeed this is an interesting Report and one we discussed
at the recent CSTD Inter-Sessional here in Geneva at the end of November
(ICANN ware an Observer).   There were indeed members of the CCWG present.

We are being asked (by UNTAD), see below, to comment on the entries to the
Mapping Report which touch on DNS / ICANN issues.   Will be submitting
comments and of course happy to make any observations members may have.

Nigel Hickson
VP; UN and IGO Engagement
Geneva

E-mail:  nigel.hickson at icann.org
Twitter:  @njhickson
Tel:  41 79 951 9625

Dear Sir,

This is to inform you on the mapping and gap analysis of international
public policy issues pertaining to the Internet carried out by the CSTD
secretariat in August-mid-November, 2014. By doing this, the secretariat
responded to ECOSOC's recommendation to continue the work that was initiated
at the CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation (see ECOSOC resolution
E/RES/2014/27 of 16 July 2014).

The secretariat presented the findings of the work to the CSTD at its
intersessional panel which convened in Geneva on 26-28 November 2014. In
that meeting, the Commission recommended the outcome of the work to be sent
to the relevant organisations mentioned in the report for their possible
comments in view of adding accuracy and information to the document.

I am writing to you, as your organisation is mentioned on:

o        Paragraph "Status of governance mechanisms for IP numbers". Page
10.

o        Paragraph "Possible gaps in dealing with the DNS". Page 12.

o        Paragraph "2.6 Root Zone". Page 12.

o        Paragraph "Status of governance mechanisms for arbitration". Page
30.

o        Paragraph "5.4 Trademark". Page 31.

o        Paragraph "Status of governance mechanisms for consumer
protection". Page 36.

o        Paragraph "Possible gaps in dealing with consumer protection" Page
37.

o        Paragraph "Status of governance mechanisms for capacity
development". Page 41.

o        Paragraph "Status of governance mechanisms for multilingualism".
Page 43.

o        Paragraph "8.5 Global public good". Page 45.

of the report document. I would appreciate if you could send your comments
to the document, and in particular, to the page where your organisation is
referenced by 31 December 2014.

The updated version of the document and the database that is also attached
to this email will be submitted to the CSTD as secretariat's informal
documents for the 18th annual session of the Commission  which takes place
on 4-8 May, 2015.

Best regards,

Anne Miroux