[ccwg-internet-governance] Agenda for call suggestion

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.nz
Sat Dec 13 17:11:40 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Rafik, Olivier and I have done some thinking about a possible agenda for a
call for this CCWG-Internet Governance group before end of December. It is
a very busy time in the ICANN community no doubt but kicking something off
before 2015 seems wise to us.

We will ask ICANN staff to do a Doodle poll to find a good time for a
meeting on 18 or 19 December - you should see that in the next two days,
all going well.

Here are the proposed agenda items we suggest - for feedback and discussion
certainly: nothing is final and everything is simply a suggestion.

There are two "substantive" items and five "procedural" items shown below...

*Draft Agenda Items for CCWG-IG meeting, 18 or 19 December 2014 (TBC)*

*1. Introduction of Co-Chairs and round of introductions*

*SUBSTANTIVE ITEMS *

*2. CSTD Response from ICANN *

Nigel Hickson advised the CCWG that ICANN is planning a response to the
CSTD report <
http://unctad.org/meetings/en/SessionalDocuments/CSTD_2014_Mapping_Internet_en.pdf>
with them having solicited input from ICANN.

We thought it would be helpful to invite Nigel or another appropriate staff
member to discuss the proposed response with the ICANN community as
organised in this CCWG before it is finalised and submitted. If that is not
possible, to discuss the staff's response with the community.

*3. NetMundial Initiative*

To invite a relevant senior ICANN staffer to brief the CCWG-IG on what is
happening with the initiative to date and future plans in response to the
community concern about how it has originated.

*PROCEDURAL ITEMS*

*4. Discussion of themes of work for the CCWG-IG*

What topics should the WG organise its work around? Some suggestions:

   -

   WSIS+10 / CSTD
   -

   IGF
   -

   ITU Plenipot
   - NetMundial Initiative

*5. Update of the Events Calendar and Threats & Opportunities*

This document is at <
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-o-ba2z2WOG33-v5ZSZJgziB6PTxihMsPsqNQ994tyw/edit?usp=sharing>
and needs updating and we could discuss upcoming meetings too.

*6. Plan for the CCWG-IG meeting at ICANN 52 in Singapore*

We had some suggestions which are similar to Los Angeles:

   - Discussion of IG hot spots
   - Confirmation of themes and draft work plan for the CCWG-IG
   - Interface/Engagement between the CCWG-IG, ICANN staff and the wider
   ICANN community
   - Review of Actions from LA meeting and agreement of actions for BA
   meeting

*7. Plan for the Public Internet Governance Session at ICANN 52 in
Singapore*

Our suggestion here was that these Public Sessions are a good chance for
the community to discuss issues of substance and give feedback to the CCWG
and to ICANN staff. They aren't good to use for long updates on IG issues -
people can read written summaries for that.

In a 90 minute time slot there might be time for a bigger discussion of a
current issue, and a shorter presentation of an upcoming issue. It is also
a good opportunity for community members in the WG, and ICANN staff, to
work together.

We suggest two topics:

   - Discussion - *the NetMundial Initiative* - get a senior ICANN staffer
   and an external group with a different point of view (perhaps Kathy Brown
   from ISOC) to talk about their different perspectives, and then community
   feedback and debate (~50 mins)
   - Presentation - the WSIS+10 Review - get a responsible ICANN staffer
   and a CCWG member following the issue to highlight the main points of this
   Review that the ICANN community needs to pay attention to and ask questions
   about (~30 mins)

The remaining time could be to raise other issues or a quick report back
from the CCWG and ICANN staff.

*8. Any Other Business*

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its potential.*

+64-21-442-649 | jordan at internetnz.net.nz

Sent on the run, apologies for brevity