[ccwg-internet-governance] I-events heads up

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 13 20:51:04 UTC 2014

I am not a fan of a new comms mechanism, as we do not use the ones we have effectively.
Let's start with our list, and return to working conf. calls.
I would prefer that we just have a regular approach to conf. calls and then use the emaillist, to make sure this is also transparent.  There are too many options already that are not used, or areoverlapping. And, I am aware that not everyone can use SKYPE.
Irregular communications is not a really good idea for us. We made commitments to do work and we are behind.
It is already short notice to learn about a call on Thursday or Friday, without a longerplanning cycle. I realize that with the holiday, we need to move ahead, but let's return to treatingthis CCWG IG as a priority. NOT to duplicate IANA and Accountability, which have their own CCWGsand will have their own slots during ICANN Singapore, but to do what we committed to do. Organizethe IG session, and do meaningful work on IG.
For instance, I would like to suggest that the CCWG IG discuss the NMI and ICANN's role in IG ecosystemagain, and contribute to broadening the ICANN community understanding of the current activities in IGthat are relevant to ICANN.
While we can provide a broader survey and should, it is also important to recall that while ICANN may be affected by activities in the larger IG ecosystem, it has its own important job to do in improving its own performance of fulfilling its core mission.  So, in some cases, knowing what is going on and how it affects ICANN is important, and in some cases, ensuring that ICANN does its day job with excellence and focus will be the best contribution that can be made to ensure support to ICANN.
I am updating my timeline this week end, and can send it to Alex for updating the calendar that CCWG-IGis building.
Marilyn Cade