[ccwg-internet-governance] Agenda for call suggestion

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 13 21:12:22 UTC 2014

Thanks, JordanI just posted that we really need to make the work of this CCWG - IG a priority and return to a regularized schedule, so I welcome this announcement.  I support that we need a face to face working session, and that as we committed, we should own the organizing of the IG panel session.
Two updates on topics in your draft agenda, though, that are relevant.
The CSTD WSIS DRAFT Review Report closes for comment on 12/15.  The CSTD Gap and Mapping document are open until 12/31.Both reports are on line. Both assume a fair amount of in depth knowledge about WSIS, not just about ICANN. During the CSTD Intercessional, in my comments, I invited the Secretariat to send invitations to the entities mentioned in the reports to ask themto correct gaps or inadequacies. ICANN would be among those who received such requests.
Under Item 4.  I think this needs to be IG Ecosystem overview and then boil down into topics. I also suggest that the focus be onactivities at ITU that are relevant to ICANN, versus the ITU Plenipot. MUCH of the work of the ITU is simply not within the scope or focus of ICANN.  There are three resolutions of relevance, I think -- Undoubtedly, Nigel could summarize those, and the focus could be then quite relevant to ICANN stakeholders.
IGF2015  Planning and Preparation is probably the proper title for that topic. It would be good to invite Chengetai Masango, the Secretariat, to give that update.  There are many IGF MAG members in the ICANN community, and we can all comment from the floor, but it would be better to have Chengetai in person.  An invitation would have to be seen fairly soon.
Finally, WSIS +10 and CSTD are not the same topic. I think perhaps this confusion arose because CSTD does have a key role in the WSIS Review process as requested by the UNGA, in support of ECOSOC and UNGA. A separate UNGA  WSIS follow up process will kick off in June and conclude in Dec, at UNGA 2015.  Can we treat these separately, so that no one gets confused?two topics as separate topics?
NETmundial Initiative: Unfortunately, although there were two opportunities at the last ICANN meeting to answer questions, things really didn't work very well, as we all recall. Good to try again.
Timeliness may be an issue, though, as much is supposed to happen over the next few weeks.
I will note that if the idea is to invite those organizations who have also raised questions, in addition to ISOC and IAB,   ICC-BASIS has a six page letter posted on 1NETdiscuss asking clarifying questions.  However, we also need to recognize that the issue re NMI for ICANN is how and what the community at ICANN supports in terms of ICANN engagement and how any initiative that consumes resources of some significance, fit into the broader priorities that are identified and supported by the ICANN stakeholders.
I already offered to share my updated timeline with Alex and will do so by Monday.