[ccwg-internet-governance] NETmundial Initiative Announces Formation of its Inaugural Coordination Council and a Broad Global Community Consultation Phase | NETmundial

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Dec 25 01:24:30 UTC 2014

Sorry, but I'm not impressed.

The recent agreement between ISOC and ICANN was clear; what was demanded is
a ground-up reconsideration of the needs of the community BEFORE
determining what  - if anything - NMI should exist to address.

The decision to proceed with the NMI coordination council, in its current
format, unacceptably prejudices and limits the potential outcomes of the
proposed "consultation".  It enables at best minor tweaks to NMI's
well-identified fundamental flaws, not the necessary bottom-up reboot
jointly agreed to.

As such, this announcement is a wholly unsatisfactory implementation of the
ICANN/ISOC recommendation,  and as such I will continue to support ISOC's
position of staying out of NMI and the ALAC's neutrality.