[ccwg-internet-governance] Single Root

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Tue Feb 11 22:14:24 UTC 2014

I was going to work on this then I realised while researching something else that the work had already been done

http://www.icann.org/en/about/unique-authoritative-root

The bit from the IAB sums it up:

"Put simply, deploying multiple public DNS roots would raise a very strong possibility that users of different ISPs who click on the same link on a web page could end up at different destinations, against the will of the web page designers."

To paraphrase:

Single root = predictable and stable (warts and all)
Multiple roots = unpredictable chaos

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions