[ccwg-internet-governance] fyi: a note i wrote about my feelings on /1net

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at reedsmith.com
Wed Feb 12 05:41:16 UTC 2014

Avri:

I belatedly read your blog post (link below) about /1net, and I have to say that I agreed with just about all of it.  If you were seeking signatures, I would have signed on.

My only reservation is how well /1net actually works, now and in the future, both among the hoi polloi on the discussion list and in the more rarefied air of the Steering Committee and the various committees on which MS representatives (and I use the word optimistically) have been seated.  I think most participants want it to work and are working to make it work.  There are a few participants (who take up a lot of bandwidth) who seem constitutionally skeptical/dismissive of multistakeholderism (and especially ICANN multistakeholderism) and seem to view it  as a tool in used by certain government and private actors to maintain the IG status quo and, by extension, seem to view each of us as either a dupe or a secret agent.  So, perhaps I would to your last concern (MS participants squabbling with each other) the concern that some "stakeholders" would dismiss the entire multistakeholder effort as little more than a "show".

I don't recall if you posted this link to your post on /1net.  I'd be curious to see the reaction.....

Greg Shatan

Gregory S. Shatan
Partner
Reed Smith LLP