[ccwg-internet-governance] fyi: a note i wrote about my feelings on /1net

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Feb 12 13:59:02 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thanks for reading my blog.   I am always happy to hear it was read, I
don't expect that many people do.  I do not think I ever sent it to
/1net or any other list.  Perhaps some one else sent the URL at some
point, but I do not recall.  I tend to just write these things, tweet
that they exist and hope a few people read them. Mostly I think I am
just shouting in the wind.

In my long experience in WGs, I find that the collegiality we mostly
experience in ICANN is the exception - every group I have ever been in
has its unreasonably disruptive elements - and it is chairs etc armed
with list rules of netiquette who keep them from getting too outrageous.
It takes a delicate touch.  Take the IETF list, for example.
Historically it has had its cast of characters  (some can be found on
/1net to this day), and sometimes they erupt in a storm of nonsense.
But for the most part they are kept under control.  There were a few
years when the eruptions were distracting, but eventually the IETF
created the task of Sergeant-at-Arms (RFC 3005  BCP 45) and since then
the list has been far more reasonable - and in fact as far as I can tell
the Sergeant-at-Arms has only had to intervene a few times before people
toned down.

My problem is that often the most disruptive person is a smart person
who is hiding a significant nugget in the midst of the BS. I think we
have to look for that content.  And sometimes I have found that once
these people's PoV is understood and they feel understood, they become
better list members.

This is hard work.  Work for the /1net-sc and its secretariat-equivalent
to deal with.  I wish them luck.

As for this group, in which I think I am an observer, I am not sure we
have gotten to the point where there is much to disrupt.  But that is
another story.

thanks

avri