[ccwg-internet-governance] Single Root

Patrik Fältström paf at netnod.se
Thu Feb 13 11:24:30 UTC 2014

> On 13 feb 2014, at 03:51, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 11, 2014, at 11:50 PM, Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can we close on that: the CCWG reinforces that ICANN is,and must remain committed to a single authoriative root?
>
> Wouldn’t this be sort of like boldly declaring we think the Pope should stay Catholic?

Unfortunately Bill we must restate things like these. See for example SSAC reports on name collision and discussions in ICANN and ietf on alternative (onion-routing) namespaces.

I.e. yes, for the DNS namespace that has a strict hierarchy we have more consensus today than say 2003 on one root, but not the same consensus regarding other.

   Patrik