[ccwg-internet-governance] Form of contribution to NetMundial

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at reedsmith.com
Tue Feb 25 15:55:52 UTC 2014

+1

Greg Shatan

From: ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org [mailto:ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Ken Stubbs
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:10 AM
To: James M. Bladel; Drazek, Keith; Marilyn Cade
Cc: ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] Form of contribution to NetMundial

I support Marilyn's statement as well

Ken

On 2/25/2014 9:41 AM, James M. Bladel wrote:
I also agree with Marilyn and Keith.

J.

From: <Drazek>, Keith <kdrazek at verisign.com<mailto:kdrazek at verisign.com>>
Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 8:18
To: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com<mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>>
Cc: "ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>" <ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>>

I support Marilyn's comments and suggestions.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 25, 2014, at 1:54 AM, "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade at hotmail.com<mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>> wrote:
I like a couple of phrases from you, Olivier.
I will look at the document, but I'd like to propose that we systematically reinforce that ICANN is a unique bottom up, consensus based multistakeholder model of policy development, and acceptance by stakeholders, with a global responsibility for coordinating a shared space of the unique indicators.

That is unique about ICANN, although I note that staff and the CEO are consistently
cutting the 'bottom up/consensus based ' off the MS language.

Secondly, transparency is being described as 'adequate'. I think that is not actually what
the community agreed to in ATRT and expects.

We must demand not just transparency, but accountability.  Transparency just means that sometime soon, documents are published. Or the CEO makes announcements.
Accountabiity means that ICANN takes consultation with its community, and that the Board ensures mechanisms which create inclusion of input from the affected Stakeholders who work within ICANN [by the way, it is a way to ensure more do come to ICANN to participate and work], and taken as an intertwined pair of commitments, it is what can contribute to ICANN's legitimacy with its own community, including the GAC members, and more broadly.

I would strongly urge that we incorporate the term of Transparency and Accountability.