[ccwg-internet-governance] Multi-stakeholder model & multi-lateral model definitions

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Feb 26 19:52:36 UTC 2014

Hello all,

looking at the successive edits in the definitions of multi-stakeholder
model and multi-lateral model, I note that there has been so serious
updating/replacement of input.

As it stands at the moment, the latest definition of Multi-lateral model is:

The Multi-Lateral Model (MLM) is a decision-making process wherein
nation states negotiate policy among themselves.  In an ideal process,
the governmental parties are expected to voice the interests of their
citizens.  Citizens, businesses, civil society organizations and
technical experts cannot participate directly in decision-making of a
multi-lateral decisionmaking process.  Some multilateral organizations
do offer consultative status to non-governmental stakeholders.[DF1]
<#_msocom_1>

 [DF1] <#_msoanchor_1>OECD is one such inter-governmental organization.

I would consider that the multi-lateral model is not only about nation
states. In my experience a multi-lateral model often involves each
stakeholder group discussing issues only within its own stakeholder
group. The decisions made by each stakeholder group can then feed into
nation state negotiations as advice - but nation states are indeed the
sole decision makers on policy.

Perhaps could we intertwine this in the above definition.