[ccwg-internet-governance] 2014.01.06 CALL AGENDA Re: next ccwg IG call is scheduled for Monday January 6th at 21:00 UTC

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Mon Jan 6 18:42:35 UTC 2014

All,

First, today is holiday in Sweden, so I will not be part of the call.

SSAC can not as an AC participate in work like this, as our process makes it extremely hard to back specific texts which seems to be one of the proposed work items of this working group. So, SSAC can not be a "participating AC" as laid out.

What we can have are individuals that participate in this cross constituency working group that also are members of SSAC, but it is not SSAC participating. The cross constituency working group will though be able to draw upon the expertise a member of SSAC might have that is related to the topic discussed.

Now, over to me speaking as an individual, and no longer as SSAC Chair (for the above reasons):

I have a greater concern, the charter of this cross constituency working group.

I see words like "Increase ICANN Community participation in internet governance discussions" (might not be a direct quote). This while the individuals I have seen being active so far are "the usual suspects" :-)

Nothing wrong with that, but I would like to see more specifics in the charter itself what the actual goal is. And here the goal should be clearly separated from whatever means might be chosen to reach those goals. If the goal is to increase the participation from ICANN community in the IG meetings that exists here and there in the world, that would of course be good, but that should be mentioned explicitly.

To be honest, I think it would be extremely good if the goal with this cross constituency working group would be to concentrate on the ICANN role in IG discussions, and have as a goal to suggest what ICANN can do to the processes we use given the suggestions (positive and negative) sent in the direction of ICANN at for example the IGF.

With that, Happy New Year, all of you that just changed the year!

   Patrik Fältström