[ccwg-internet-governance] Doodle poll to define call rotation: Double/Tripe

Keith Davidson keith at internetnz.net.nz
Sun Jan 19 00:12:03 UTC 2014

Thanks very much Renate for organising this poll, and to the WG members
for having consideration for those of us who live in unusual time zones.

As an aside, one ICANN WG that I chair has for the past 5 years been
meeting almost every 2 weeks on a triple rotation meeting time. As
chair, I refuse to allow significant decisions to be made on the basis
of a single call, so have a "second reading" on a next call to confirm
earlier decisions, and if there is dissent on the second reading, then
taking it forward to a third meeting. The massive benefit from this
approach is that all WG members can exempt themselves from participating
in the one out of three meetings that happens at a truly horrible time
for them, and are not denied a voice in the decision making along the
way. With all calls recorded and transcripts created, members can go
back to review what the points of difference were on controversial
issues etc.

While this does potentially slow down the progress on topics a little,
it does ensure a robustness of debate and a commitment to all
participants being able to contribute. The outcome is usually a higher
level of consensus and understanding of the issues.

I have often thought this methodology could be adopted as a standard for
larger WG's who's members are geographically widely dispersed.

Cheers

Keith