[ccwg-internet-governance] Follow-up to Call on Friday 17 Jan 2014

Naresh Ajwani ajwaninaresh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 14:53:24 UTC 2014

Hope it is in our notice;

Press Release: CIGI and Chatham House launch Global Commission on Internet
Governance, chaired by Sweden’s Carl Bildt

Davos-Klosters, Switzerland – January 22, 2014 – Carl Bildt, Sweden’s
Minister of Foreign Affairs, will chair a new Global Commission on Internet
Governance, launched by The Centre for International Governance Innovation
(CIGI) and the Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham House).

Announced today at the World Economic Forum in Davos-Klosters, the Global
Commission is a two-year initiative that will produce a comprehensive stand
on the future of multi-stakeholder Internet governance.

“In most countries, increased attention is being given to all the issues of
net freedom, net security and net governance. And they are, in my view,
closely related to each other. The rapid evolution of the net has been made
possible by the open and flexible model by which it has evolved and been
governed. But increasingly this is coming under attack,” said Carl Bildt.
“And this is happening as issues of net freedom, net security and net
surveillance are increasingly debated. Net freedom is as fundamental as
freedom of information and freedom of speech in our societies.”

The commission will include about 25 members drawn from various fields and
from around the world, including policy and government, academia and civil
society.

The Global Commission on Internet Governance will encourage globally
inclusive public discussions and debates on the future of Internet
governance through a public consultation platform, and through other
institutional, media, and academic channels. It will create and advance a
strategic vision for the future of Internet governance that can act as a
rallying point for states that are striving for a continued free and open
Internet.

The commission will focus on four key themes:

Enhancing governance legitimacy;

Stimulating innovation;

Ensuring human rights online;

Avoiding systemic risks.

“The work of this vitally important undertaking will be supported by a
highly innovative research program at both CIGI and Chatham House as well
as widespread stakeholder consultations with civil society and the private
sector. The Commission’s work is also intended to build on a number of
important strategic dialogues that are already underway and to feed into
ongoing policy discussions at the global level,” said Fen Osler Hampson,
Director of the Global Security & Politics Program at CIGI.

“The issue of Internet governance is set to become one of the most pressing
global public policy issues of our time. The Commission will work to
develop ideas and propose a policy framework that enhances the legitimacy
of Internet governance whilst preserving innovation. Chatham House is
honoured to partner with Foreign Minister Bildt and CIGI in the Global
Commission on Internet Governance,” said Dr. Robin Niblett, Director of
Chatham House.

Members of the commission currently include the following, with full
biographies available at www.ourinternet.org:

Carl Bildt, Chair of the Global Commission on Internet Governance

Gordon Smith, Deputy Chair of the Global Commission on Internet Governance

Dominic Barton

Pablo Bello

Dae-Whan Chang

Moez Chakchouk

Michael Chertoff

Anriette Esterhuysen

Hartmut Glaser

Dorothy Gordon

Dame Wendy Hall

Fen Osler Hampson

Melissa Hathaway

Patricia Lewis

Mathias Müller von Blumencron

Beth Simone Noveck

Joseph S. Nye

Sir David Omand

Nii Quaynor

Latha Reddy

Marietje Schaake

Tobby Simon

Michael Spence

Paul Twomey

Pindar Wong

“For many people, Internet governance sounds technical and esoteric, but
the reality is that the issues are ‘high politics’ and of consequences to
all users of the Internet, present and future,” said CIGI Distinguished
Fellow Gordon Smith, who is deputy chair of the new commission.

“Internet governance is too important to be left just to governments. The
Internet is a fundamental part of the global economy and how we manage its
future will be decisive in facilitating development for all. Finding a way
through the issues of access, privacy, security, protection and
surveillance requires in-depth consideration and the wisdom that the Global
Commission will provide,” said Dr. Patricia Lewis, Research Director,
International Security Department, Chatham House.

 Among those supporting the commission’s work will be CIGI Senior Fellow
Laura DeNardis, who will act as its Director of Research. Additional
commission members will be confirmed over time.

Regards & best wishes

Naresh Ajwani