[ccwg-internet-governance] Group Charter - Definition

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Jan 29 20:39:02 UTC 2014

All

In the draft charter the term "ICANN" appears several times.

On this evening's call I asked for clarification on this, as the term in of itself can be quite ambiguous.

Each of us has our own understanding of what ICANN is depending on what we're talking about or who we are talking to.

For an initiative with so many diverse groups etc., involved I feel it is important that we are clear about our usage of terminology and minimise the possible ambiguities.

So is ICANN?
- the corporation (as Filiz pointed out, it can be sued and it can also enter into contracts)
- ICANN Staff
- ICANN the Community

Marilyn Cade picked up on this theme also and expanded on it. Her points were very valid and referred to the temporal nature of some elements, namely the Board and Staff have a certain degree of fluidity, while the Community doesn't.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon