[ccwg-internet-governance] Group Charter - Definition

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 13:37:44 UTC 2014

Wolf-Ulrich is correct that ICANN is a not for profit corporation.  I was not focused on legal entity, which cannot be ignored in our discussions, and thoughtful exploration.  For instance, we had a choice, in incorporating ICANN, and we made a decision, at that time. It has implications and needs understanding.
I was actually thinking more about who influences and guides and to whom this 'entity' is accountable.
I would say: not for profit corporation, Wolf-Ulrich.  ICANN should not be a corporation. It cannot fulfil its public interest role as a 'corporation'. Those engaged in its creation never envisioned it as a 'corporation', as for instance, a DT, or FT, or Microsoft, etc.