[ccwg-internet-governance] ACTION: Los Angeles Meeting / Topics Needed / Charter Status

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Sep 25 20:38:55 UTC 2014


Hello everyone,

Nigel Hickson & I were scheduled to have a call but have been unable to
make contact for the past 24H.  I am planning to speak to him shortly. I
understand he is running that session. I'll get back to you after I've
spoken to him.
Kindest regards,

Olivier


On 25/09/2014 17:03, Michele Neylon - Blacknight wrote:
>
> Have you asked them?
>
>  
>
> --
>
> Mr Michele Neylon
>
> Blacknight Solutions
>
> Hosting & Colocation, Domains
>
> http://www.blacknight.host/
>
> http://blog.blacknight.com/
>
> http://www.blacknight.press/
>
> http://www.technology.ie/
>
> Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
>
> Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
>
> Social: http://mneylon.social
>
> -------------------------------
>
> Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd, Unit 12A,Barrowside Business
> Park,Sleaty
>
> Road,Graiguecullen,Carlow,Ireland  Company No.: 370845
>
>  
>
> *From:*ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org
> [mailto:ccwg-internet-governance-bounces at icann.org] *On Behalf Of
> *William Drake
> *Sent:* Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:48 PM
> *To:* Marilyn Cade
> *Cc:* CCWG
> *Subject:* Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] ACTION: Los Angeles Meeting
> / Topics Needed / Charter Status
>
>  
>
> Hi
>
>  
>
> Like everyone else I’m sure I notice that the schedule is up today,
> and there’s ye ole Internet governance session, again being planned by
> staff I suppose.  Didn’t we say before that this is something the
> community should be doing via the CWG?  Seems an appropriate role...
>
>  
>
> Anyway
>
>  
>
> On Sep 21, 2014, at 9:50 PM, Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com
> <mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>
>
>     My apologies to miss the call. 
>
>      
>
>     NETmundial Initiative:   am not sure what the question is about
>     being involved with the NETmundial Initiative?
>
>     My understanding is that it is evolving, Look forward to any
>     further news from WEF 
>
>      on any changes in the Initiative, based on input they have
>
>     been receiving.  I do support Bill's request that disclosure by
>     any of us engaging in the Initiative disclose that, and what ever
>     role is being played.
>
>      
>
>     But, I first have a question about what we would discuss in this WG: 
>
>      
>
>     Do you mean that the role that ICANN CEO, Board, and staff are
>     taking in the NETmundial Initiative 
>
>     and how that aligns with the views of the broader community
>     regarding ICANN's initiating and driving
>
>     IG initiatives, funding, etc?
>
>  
>
> It’s not clear how deeply ICANN will be involved going forward.  In
> any event, WEF will be putting out new information within the week
> they say. Whether the NMI is something that this CWG should be
> particularly concerned about depends on whether “the community” per se
> wishes to interface with it in a collective cross-comm way.  The idea
> is that there will be a Steering Committee to oversee the
> projects/platform and maybe a working group below that that’s more
> hands on.  Then there will be an open online platform for people to
> provide inputs on the projects, or to propose new ones.  One imagines
> that various business, civil society and technical community groupings
> will provide inputs, and perhaps also actual bodies (i.e. civil
> society is providing names for the CS people to be on the SC).  Given
> this, does the CWG have a distinctive role to play?   If there were to
> be any inter-SG coordination on interfacing with the initiative, one
> could argue it should have been 1NET.  But 1NET may be on its last
> legs...   
>
>  
>
> Might be worth talking a bit about this but not have it take over the
> meeting.
>
>
>
>      
>
>     I understand that Fadi is speaking at a special ICANN organized
>     event tomorrow in Geneva for Governments and IGOs. Perhaps his
>     speech will also be illuminating. Undoubtedly it will be posted on
>     the ICANN website. 
>
>  
>
> Think that was yesterday, I missed it due to teaching.  The invite
> letter was a site to behold.
>
>      
>
>     2. Disposition of ICANN Funding to IG 'hotspots' - should we
>     change this to what is the role of this CCWG in commenting on
>     Disposition of ICANN Budget or excess funds in IG areas?
>
>     Perhaps it is good to start with an understanding of the last
>     year's budget expenditures on IG activities,
>
>     including NETmundial, etc. and this year's proposed expenditures.
>     I assume that the five Panels 
>
>     and NETMundial all fit into an overview of how ICANN is supporting
>     IG activities. However, I am not sure 
>
>     that this CCWG is responsible for budget oversight. :-) Only that
>     it is important to understand what ICANN
>
>      is doing in IG already, and I when there is consensus, to offer
>     guidance to the Board, CEO and Senior Staff.
>
>  
>
> Fadi says he’s announcing a new and limiting model for non-ICANN
> budgetary expenditures in LA.  
>
>  
>
> I understand that many people have concerns about this, but personally
> am not sure that the CWG on IG is necessarily the best place to be
> dealing with budgetary oversight.
>
>      
>
>     The question of ICANN's handling of excess funds, wherever they
>     come from, may have to be taken up in a different 
>
>     manner, but definately should have community participation.  Some
>     of us participated in the development of an external 
>
>     foundation approach back in the days when there was examination of
>     the auction of the single letters in .com and .net.
>
>     That proposal was initially drafted by me, but had input from
>     several CS participants. It insisted on an arms length 
>
>     relationship from ICANN, and established categories of
>     activities-- all focused on capacity building, participation in ICANN
>
>     and related entities, and a significant contribution to the IGF
>     Trust Fund. I mention it only as an example of various ideas in
>     the past
>
>     about how to deal with funds that are not part of ICANN's core
>     budget. 
>
>      
>
>     The long needed budget Working Group is a better place to take up
>     more detailed ICANN Budget oversight, of course.  This CCWG would 
>
>     only opine on IG focused funding, right? 
>
>      
>
>     I do not consider this WG the right place to address the question
>     of ensuring that ICANN's Not for Profit status be protected, but
>     the Board and perhaps the 
>
>     Senior staff may have different concepts of what activities and
>     events fall inside ICANN, what fall outside ICANN but ICANN should
>     support, and what are in 
>
>     a sort of middle ground where more alignment is needed between
>     ICANN initiatives and community concerns. And, what is clearly not
>     within ICANN's 
>
>     scope.  I would put infrastructure funding of networks in the
>     latter, for example. :-) BUT, the community might strongly support
>     support to training initiatives 
>
>     for ISPs in developing countries that build capacity in DNS
>     techniques, encourage participation in the regional RiRs, provide
>     training on universal acceptance of gTLDs, etc. etc. So, I think
>     that our discussions have to be more informed.  
>
>      
>
>      
>
>      
>
>     3. Charter Discussion
>
>  
>
> It’d be good to resolve this.  Are groups proceeding with approvals?
>  Or is someone proposing a change that would require us backtracking
> and re-doing everything?
>
>      
>
>     Adding in 4 as a possiblity: We prepared advise to the CEO and
>     staff and Board for NETmundial. Shouldn't we pull that out and 
>
>     assess how well our advice was accepted?  
>
>  
>
> Sounds like a reasonable thing to do
>
>      
>
>     5. Looking at the Strategic Plan for its implications for IG
>     activities and role for ICANN might also be a good work item for
>     this CCWG, 
>
>     to then take back into the communities the importance of engagement.
>
>      
>
>     Marilyn Cade
>
>  
>
> Cheers
>
>  
>
> Bill
>
>      
>
>      
>
>     > From: wjdrake at gmail.com <mailto:wjdrake at gmail.com>
>     > Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:10:35 +0200
>     > To: ocl at gih.com <mailto:ocl at gih.com>
>     > CC: ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
>     <mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>
>     > Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] ACTION: Los Angeles
>     Meeting / Topics Needed / Charter Status
>     > 
>     > Hi
>     > 
>     > On Sep 19, 2014, at 8:54 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond
>     <ocl at gih.com <mailto:ocl at gih.com>> wrote:
>     > 
>     > > Dear CCWG on IG participants,
>     > > 
>     > > We just completed our conference call and its recording is
>     linked from
>     > > the agenda page on https://community.icann.org/x/uA3xAg .
>     > > 
>     > > 1. In preparation for the LA meeting, would any WG
>     participants please
>     > > be so kind to identify whether they are involved with the
>     NetMundial
>     > > Initiative? This is likely to be one of the topics for
>     discussion at the
>     > > face to face meeting in LA.
>     > 
>     > I have been. They’ll be updating on various later this week.
>     > > 
>     > > 2. Other topics proposed:
>     > > - ICANN expenditure (which includes auction proceeds etc.)
>     > > - review of the various Internet Governance Hotspots
>     > > 
>     > > Since many people could not make it to the call, could you
>     please let us
>     > > know of other topics you would like to see discussed at our
>     F2F meeting
>     > > in Los Angeles?
>     > 
>     > Interface/engagement with the wider community
>     > > 
>     > > 3. Charter discussions
>     > > After today's conference call, I have sent another email to SO
>     & AC
>     > > Chairs to enquire about the Charter's status in the various
>     SO/ACs. I
>     > > shall relate back to the WG as responses are received, but
>     will urge you
>     > > all to check with your own constituency's leadership on where
>     this is
>     > > going. The summer has been busy with matters of NTIA Stewardship
>     > > Transition & Accountability Issues, but we should not forget
>     this thread
>     > > is also important.
>     > 
>     > I suspect this may eat a good chunk of the meeting…
>     > 
>     > Bill
>     > > 
>     > > Kindest regards,
>     > > 
>     > > Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
>     > > CCWG on IG co-facilitator
>     > > 
>     > > 
>     > > 
>     > > _______________________________________________
>     > > ccwg-internet-governance mailing list
>     > > ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
>     <mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>
>     > > https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ccwg-internet-governance
>     > 
>     > ***********************************************
>     > William J. Drake
>     > International Fellow & Lecturer
>     > Media Change & Innovation Division, IPMZ
>     > University of Zurich, Switzerland
>     > Chair, Noncommercial Users Constituency, 
>     > ICANN, www.ncuc.org <http://www.ncuc.org/>
>     > william.drake at uzh.ch
>     <mailto:william.drake at uzh.ch> (direct), wjdrake at gmail.com
>     <mailto:wjdrake at gmail.com> (lists),
>     > www.williamdrake.org <http://www.williamdrake.org/>
>     > ***********************************************
>     > 
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > ccwg-internet-governance mailing list
>     > ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
>     <mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>
>     > https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ccwg-internet-governance
>
>  
>
> ***********************************************
> William J. Drake
> International Fellow & Lecturer
>   Media Change & Innovation Division, IPMZ
>   University of Zurich, Switzerland
> Chair, Noncommercial Users Constituency, 
>   ICANN, www.ncuc.org <http://www.ncuc.org>
> william.drake at uzh.ch
> <mailto:william.drake at uzh.ch> (direct), wjdrake at gmail.com
> <mailto:wjdrake at gmail.com> (lists),
>   www.williamdrake.org <http://www.williamdrake.org>
> ***********************************************
>
>  
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ccwg-internet-governance mailing list
> ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ccwg-internet-governance

-- 
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ccwg-internet-governance/attachments/20140925/5fed1efa/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the ccwg-internet-governance mailing list