[ccwg-internet-governance] Should next week's CCWG IG call be postponed to the week of April 20th?

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 13:33:48 UTC 2015

Hi Olivier

> On Apr 11, 2015, at 3:09 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Bill,
>
> thanks for this. In your interpretation, does (2) include the writing and distribution of malware, denial of service attacks as well hacking and phishing?

I guess it depends who’s doing it.  The Great Cannon presumably not covered.

> A few years ago the Council of Europe discussed the appetite for the drafting of a treaty akin the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty - and there appears to have been no taste for it from States.

Russia has long argued for some kind of arms control treaty.

> At IGF in Istanbul, the French GAC Representative came on stage to ask that the NetMundial Principles be turned into a Treaty. Again - no traction.
>
> Is this all just rhetoric or the opening of a new Chapter?

One assumes there won’t be a treaty with such language, but pressing it in the UNGA allows all kinds of pots to be stirred, issue linkages and political alignments to be forged, bargaining chits to be accumulated, buy-offs to be demanded, etc…unfortunately, most of happens and its ripples over time at the national regional global levels will not be transparent to those of us who don’t live in that particular ecosystem.

Cheers

Bill