[ccwg-internet-governance] Should next week's CCWG IG call be postponed to the week of April 20th?

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sat Apr 11 14:10:36 UTC 2015

> On 11 apr 2015, at 15:09, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>
> thanks for this. In your interpretation, does (2) include the writing and distribution of malware, denial of service attacks as well hacking and phishing?

Be careful what you ask for. At WCIT, as we know, Russia specifically pushed for a situation that of course these things above should be illegal. The followup was that if that is the case, anything that is illegal in Russia must then by definition also be the responsibility for for example Sweden to ensure that it does not happen (or rather that those according to Russia illegal bits do not touch the Russian territory).

What we need is just like for ordinary crime a more effective MLAT system that makes it possible for LEA in one country to request help when needed. That is a good baseline so at least it is not as easy as today to hide behind the fact one cross a country boundary when one commit crimes.

Then regarding malware etc, I think that has gone overboard. For example by having registries themselves without any due process unregister domain names that they do believe is used for malware distribution. We have law enforcement that do these things, but private sector today do just too much of these things. So given situation we have today my call is strongly that private sector should do MUCH LESS and LEA should do MUCH MORE.

See SSAC discussion at last IGF on third party (private party) power.

> A few years ago the Council of Europe discussed the appetite for the drafting of a treaty akin the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty - and there appears to have been no taste for it from States.

See also work on cross border implications that CoE is working on.

   Patrik