[ccwg-internet-governance] NetMundial Principles and Code of Conduct Options

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sat Apr 11 13:58:08 UTC 2015

All,

Elements of these issues, and policy and agreements dealing with parts
of them, mainly from a private sector perspective, are already being
written into theregional regulatory and investment treaties such as
the/Trans/-/Pacific Partnership /(TPP) and theTransatlantic/Trade and
Investment Partnership/ (TTIP). Due diligence here suggests looking out
for bits and pieces of regulation in such treaties, much of it
antithetical to the NetMundial Principles or a Code of Conduct. What is
cemented in place in TPP and TTIP style treaties would constrain what
could follow in terms of principles based or code-of-conduct agreements.

Sam L.

The On 11/04/2015 9:09 AM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> Dear Bill,
>
> thanks for this. In your interpretation, does (2) include the writing
> and distribution of malware, denial of service attacks as well hacking
> and phishing?
>
> A few years ago the Council of Europe discussed the appetite for the
> drafting of a treaty akin the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty - and
> there appears to have been no taste for it from States.
>
> At IGF in Istanbul, the French GAC Representative came on stage to ask
> that the NetMundial Principles be turned into a Treaty. Again - no
> traction.
>
> Is this all just rhetoric or the opening of a new Chapter?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Olivier
>
> On 11/04/2015 10:52, William Drake wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks Nigel.  While we wait, here’s another interesting document,
>> Letter dated 9 January 2015 from the Permanent Representatives of
>> China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, the Russian Federation, Tajikistan and
>> Uzbekistan to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
>> https://ccdcoe.org/sites/default/files/documents/UN-150113-CodeOfConduct.pdf
>>

>> Bill
>>
>>> On Apr 10, 2015, at 7:10 PM, Nigel Hickson <nigel.hickson at icann.org
>>> <mailto:nigel.hickson at icann.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Olivier
>>>
>>> Good evening.  As discussed on last Call we expect draft WSIS Paper
>>> for CSTD meeting in May to be posted in next week or so. I can
>>> circulate for comments when receive it.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Nigel
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852