[ccwg-internet-governance] GCCS Statement

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Apr 17 17:55:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

But it is not in the DNA of ISOC to be bottom-up driven, as much as some
of us would like to see that become the case.

The ICANN GCCS sign-on is an interesting case.  Many knew the majority
of the content of the GCCS closing statement at least a week before the
end of the meeting;  in fact at least a week before the beginning of the
meeting.  So it wasn't an unexpected itch that need immediate
scratching.  There was time for consultation with the Board and perhaps
a CCWG like this one.

avri

On 17-Apr-15 13:31, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> Dear Avri,
>
> it's the first I heard about it. I gather it's something which happens
> on the spot, but you do raise an interesting question about process.
> What if the GCC had advocated a future that none of us agreed with?
> I note that ISOC members were not consulted either, as far as I know.
> Kind regards,
>
> Olivier
>
> On 17/04/2015 18:49, Avri Doria wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Part of I*, including ICANN, put out a statement on GCCs
>>
>> http://www.internetsociety.org/news/statement-members-internet-technical-community-after-global-conference-cyberspace-2015-gccs2015
>>
>> ICANN signed on to this statement.
>> Is this group or any other group consulted before we do things like that?
>>
>> Did the Board approve the statement on our behalf?
>>
>> Curious about how these things go down.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> avri

>> Avast logo <http://www.avast.com/>