[ccwg-internet-governance] GCCS Statement

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 07:54:03 UTC 2015

Hi

The I* statement is pretty anodyne so it’s unlikely there’d have been any community objections, or perhaps even suggestions.  Nevertheless, I would agree that when there’s sufficient time available to coordinate or at least share with the community, that’d be a good habit to get into---especially if we end up seriously pursuing a membership organization model.

I also agree with Marilyn that we should probably start to think about what we want to do at the BA meeting.  Plenty of time left, but it does have a way of slipping away...

Bill

> On Apr 17, 2015, at 9:48 PM, Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I should clarify that I support Avri's analysis of the opportunity for consultation with the CCWG-IG, and indeed, that would have been
> useful to critically valuable.  BUT, we continue to have a gap in understanding by staff and CEO/Pres and Board about what value
> this consultation brings.
>
> I guess we need to have further discussions on how best to fulfill our responsibilities as a CCWG.
>

> FOR NOW, we have more opportunities ahead:
> ICANN's ongoing briefings on IG and WSIS
> CSTD
> ITU Council WG on WSIS and IIPP
> WSIS Forum
>
> .... to name a few.
>
> And planning for the session in BA that we must lead on.

> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:55:00 -0400
> From: avri at acm.org <mailto:avri at acm.org>
> To: ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org <mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>
> Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] GCCS Statement
>
> Hi,
>
> But it is not in the DNA of ISOC to be bottom-up driven, as much as some of us would like to see that become the case.
>
> The ICANN GCCS sign-on is an interesting case.  Many knew the majority of the content of the GCCS closing statement at least a week before the end of the meeting;  in fact at least a week before the beginning of the meeting.  So it wasn't an unexpected itch that need immediate scratching.  There was time for consultation with the Board and perhaps a CCWG like this one.
>
> avri
>
> On 17-Apr-15 13:31, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> Dear Avri,
>
> it's the first I heard about it. I gather it's something which happens on the spot, but you do raise an interesting question about process.
> What if the GCC had advocated a future that none of us agreed with?
> I note that ISOC members were not consulted either, as far as I know.
> Kind regards,
>
> Olivier
>
> On 17/04/2015 18:49, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Part of I*, including ICANN, put out a statement on GCCs
>
> http://www.internetsociety.org/news/statement-members-internet-technical-community-after-global-conference-cyberspace-2015-gccs2015 <http://www.internetsociety.org/news/statement-members-internet-technical-community-after-global-conference-cyberspace-2015-gccs2015>
>
> ICANN signed on to this statement.
> Is this group or any other group consulted before we do things like that?
>
> Did the Board approve the statement on our behalf?
>
> Curious about how these things go down.
>
> thanks
>
> avri

> [...]
William J. Drake