[ccwg-internet-governance] WSIS FORUM AT ITU; ICANN

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 08:07:18 UTC 2015

Hi

Olivier raises a valid concern.  While the cluster of activities often referred to as ICANN globalization—transition, offices/staff around the world, expanding and diversifying participation, etc—need to be raised, if this is the framing of the whole event one can easily imagine a line of interventions from the floor that fixates on the limitations thereof.  Indeed, as a Geneva denizen who attends a lot of IG events and has done multiple WSIS Forum sessions, I would predict that the first hand to go up would be from a certain ex-WCIT maestro who would merrily problematize this.  The critique likely will be made irrespective of when and how such issues are addressed, but setting globalization as the overarching theme would provide a fatter target. Bear in mind too the wider context that’d help make it resonate, including the meme that’s been fostered in the local media and meetings about how ICANN will or should relocate to Switzerland.  So I’d think it would be better not to look like we’re trying to dispense kool aid and oversell—stick to the facts and be prepared to acknowledge limitations.

An option to consider: People may recall that we talked about whether the CCWGIG should submit an IGF workshop proposal.  While that conversation didn’t fully blossom, Olivier and Jordan did submit proposal No. 163 Multi-stakeholder Internet Governance -IANA Stewardship, described thusly:

The transition of Stewardship of the IANA Contract from the US to the Global Community is, arguably, this year's most significant change for the Internet. This session (which will not focus on the substance of the debate or on any transition proposal) will provide behind the scene insights from participants in the IANA Stewardship Transition; including:

- how the bottom-up multistakeholder model has been used to make tough operational decisions that will affect the whole Internet
- how initial positions held by stakeholders were examined
- how these positions evolved in the course of discussions, both on-line and in face to face meetings
- the lessons to be learnt for other Internet Governance issues from the experience of participants in this process?

The session will include personal insights from community members who started out with very diverse, conflicting views which reflected the views of their Community, finally finding consensus in building together the best solution for the operational stability and continuity of the Internet.
This session will seek to demonstrate the maturity of the multistakeholder model of governance; relevant - not least - in the forthcoming UNGA discussion on the WSIS+10 Review.
Participants (in a roundtable format) will be drawn from across the Community including representatives from ISOC, the IETF and the RIRs.
The Cross Community Working Group on Internet Governance is a formal body within the ICANN Community Structure drawing membership from nearly all of the different Constituency bodies. (https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=43984275)

Why not simply do the same thing at the WSIS Forum?  There are arguably several advantages:

*It'd be the path of least resistance since we already have a text.

*It'd be interesting to use the WF to preview/practice the IGF session (if it’s approved) and see how the discussion evolves similarly/differently in the two venues with their respective audiences.  I did this in 2011, organized parallel WF and IGF sessions on Institutional Choice in Global Communications Governance, and it proved to be rather instructive.

*Bearing in mind the concerns raised above, focusing on the MS process followed in the transition would be a propitious framing in the particular institutional/discursive context of this event.

The line-up of speakers would be different from their IGF proposal because we’re presumably talking about a Panel of 4-6 people rather than a Roundtable with 16 participants, many of whom probably won’t be in Geneva in May.  Given the Monday submission deadline we’d need to do some quick poking around to see who will be here, but at a minimum I’d expect Nigel, Tarek, Marilyn and myself would be options.  The more MS and internationally diverse the panel is, the better. Nigel or Tarek could moderate…?

Thoughts?

Best

Bill

> On Apr 24, 2015, at 7:45 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for this Nigel. All - please spend some time over the week-end thinking about this.
>
> I do think that the proposed topic is both of interest with everyone in the wider Internet Governance space and also highly topical right now. The only concern is that at the moment I cannot see any "Globalisation of ICANN" when it comes to IANA Stewardship transition. In fact, I cannot see any Globalisation of ICANN this year that goes further than any plans that were already in place prior to the IANA Stewardship transition proposals.
> As a result, with such a title, are we just not setting the session to be criticised openly, as in stepping into a shooting range?

> (own views)
>
> On 24/04/2015 08:36, Nigel Hickson wrote:
>> Colleagues
>>
>> Good morning; on the CCWG-IG call yesterday we discussed the opportunity for the WG to be involved in a Workshop Session at the WSIS Forum hosted by ITU later May (see https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2015 <https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2015>/)
>>
>> A placeholder for a Session was made and ITU have issued a slot for Thursday; 28th April at 16.45 until 18.15 (see https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2015/Agenda/Session/269 <https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2015/Agenda/Session/269>) on “ICANN Contribution to implementation of WSIS Action Lines”.
>>
>> We have a ability to amend / add to the description of this Workshop and on Call yesterday a suggestion was made to discuss Globalisation of ICANN, including the IANA Stewardship Transition.
>>
>> On behalf of co-chairs would welcome views on scope and format of Workshop of Session.  We have a deadline of close (23.00 UTC) on Monday 27th April to submit to ITU (see form at http://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2015/Agenda/Organizers/Add <http://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2015/Agenda/Organizers/Add>)
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Nigel
>>

>> From: Renate DeWulf <renate.dewulf at icann.org <mailto:renate.dewulf at icann.org>>
>> Date: Thursday 23 April 2015 20:27
>> To: "'ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org <mailto:%27ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>'" <ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org <mailto:ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org>>
>> Subject: [ccwg-internet-governance] NMI Consultation - deadline May 1st
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Further to today’s CCWG IG call, Olivier has asked me to forward to your attention the link hereunder and has asked that you send in your comments to this mailing list prior to the deadline of May 1st.
>> http://ow.ly/LZ9Cd <http://ow.ly/LZ9Cd>
>> Best,
>> Renate
>>

>> Renate De Wulf
> [...]