[ccwg-internet-governance] Preparation of the Internet Governance Public Session at ICANN 52 Singapore

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Jan 5 15:52:16 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I trust you are all on your way back to the world of ICANN after a good
holiday break.

A follow-up from our last call is to start preparations for the Internet
Governance Public Session at ICANN 52.
In December, Jordan Carter sent out the suggestion that Rafik, Jordan &
I had discussed. We attempted to discuss it in the last CCWG on IG call
( https://community.icann.org/x/YYcQAw ) but ran out of time.

Here goes:

*Plan for the Public Internet Governance Session at ICANN 52 in Singapore*

Public Sessions are a good chance for the community to discuss issues of
substance and give feedback to the CCWG and to ICANN staff. They aren't
good to use for long updates on IG issues.  In a 90 minute time slot
there might be time for a bigger discussion of a current issue, and a
shorter presentation of an upcoming issue. It is also a good opportunity
for community members in the WG, and ICANN staff, to work together.

We suggest two topics:

  * Discussion - *the NetMundial Initiative* - get a senior ICANN
    staffer and an external group with a different point of view
    (perhaps Kathy Brown from ISOC) to talk about their different
    perspectives, and then community feedback and debate (~50 mins)
  * Presentation - the WSIS+10 Review - get a responsible ICANN staffer
    and a CCWG member following the issue to highlight the main points
    of this Review that the ICANN community needs to pay attention to
    and ask questions about (~30 mins)

The remaining time could be to raise other issues or a quick report back
from the CCWG and ICANN staff.

We will spend the majority of our next call preparing this session.
If you cannot make it to the call on Tuesday (
https://community.icann.org/x/L4wQAw ) please email your comments and
suggestions to the list prior to the call.

Apologies if you have forgotten the already expressed feedback. If you
have responded, please resend again as this will help refresh my mind
after the holiday diversions. :-)