[ccwg-internet-governance] Your input is required: Re: Draft agenda - CCWG IG call of Jan 6th at 15:15 UTC

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 09:45:30 UTC 2015

Hi

Thanks Olivier.  Maybe it’s the multitasking or I just need more coffee this morning but I don’t recall us discussing on the call the idea of dropping the WSIS+10 Review as a topic for the public meeting.  I also don’t recall much discussion of cybersecurity as an alternative.  When the transcript comes I’ll refresh my head, but in the meanwhile, what I’d put on the table as a proposal is,

For the CWG’s Internal Meeting
*Topic 4, spun toward how going forward ICANN staff/community can coordinate more on ICANN representations/engagement in multilateral (ITU, CSTD, WSIS+10, etc) and multistakeholder (NMI, IGF, etc) processes

For the Internet Governance Session
*NMI: Very brief ‘update’ on status followed forward looking discussion of community inputs on how it could operate to promote widening participation and buy-in, what it could do substantively (which could feed into the NMI CC meeting in March)  30 minutes max
*WSIS +10: I would still argue that the UNGA taking up Internet governance in a high-level intergovernmental meeting ought to be on our radars and we need to make the most of what opportunities for multistakeholder input will be provided, perhaps including a text submission. (rest if the time, whether we get 75 or 90 minutes)

Best

Bill

> On Jan 6, 2015, at 9:04 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> The majority of today's conference call was spent discussing the arrangements for the Internet Governance Public Session at the forthcoming Singapore ICANN 53 meeting.
>
> Staff are following-up regarding room bookings/logistics. Consensus needs to be found on the topics and how they are to be addressed.
>
> The following topics were suggested:
>
> 1. NetMundial Initiative // update
> This could be an update on NetMundial. Bearing in mind the first meeting of the NMI Coordination Group will take place after ICANN Singapore, doubt was cast on whether this was going to be helpful.
> The "debate" initially suggested gained little traction on the call.
>
> 2. Strengthening the IGF
> A discussion around the topic - inviting Janis Karklins & Chengetai Masango.
>
> 3. Cybersecurity
> This is a hot topic on the Internet - possibly lead by volunteers from SSAC.
>
> 4. Coordinating between ICANN the Corporation & ICANN the Community
> Coming up with a Framework in which ICANN engages the community - this is an ICANN's wide issue
>

> Most participants on the call preferred using the public session as an opportunity for discussion and collecting input from everyone in the room rather than as a way to update the community on topics of Internet Governance. The time should not be used for progress reports.
>
> 4 topics are too many topics for the 60-75-90 minutes (TBD) which we'll have so we need to reduce the number of topics to probably 2, with one main topic and a second topic.
>
> Please indicate your preferences and why?

> On 05/01/2015 11:01, Renate DeWulf wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The draft agenda for tomorrow’s CCWG IG call is available on the wiki page.
>> https://community.icann.org/display/CPMMB/CCWG+on+IG+Teleconference+-+2015.01.06 <https://community.icann.org/display/CPMMB/CCWG+on+IG+Teleconference+-+2015.01.06>
>>
>> Best,
>> Renate
>>
>> Renate De Wulf