[ccwg-internet-governance] Summary of today's CCWG on IG call

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:08:45 UTC 2015

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for sending this summary. The planning is evolving well. I would
just have a few comments below about the public session:

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
wrote:

> *1. Public Session of the CCWG*
>
> *Topic 1: Panel discussion with the Audience on NMI & other IG updates*
>
> Moderator/facilitator / should be very knowledgeable about NMI to
> stimulate discussion:
> - Board member? (as has been the case in prior meetings)
> - Some one from the NMI Coordinating Council?
> - Nora Abu Sita?
> - Bill Drake? (who volunteered on the call)

I believe that it is important to involve the NMI council in this
discussion. Bill is in the council and is involved in discussions since the
beginning. I believe that he would be a good person to moderate this
session.

> We also need to give a guide to invitees about the degree to which they
> should focus only on NetMundial or other IG topics too.

I believe some speakers, like Wolfgang, could easily make connections
between the NMI and other processes, as it will be natural that Janis links
it to the IGF. We could encourage that. But I agree with what you said in
the call today: time may be short to explore other topics.

On the substantive side, I believe that when this session takes place,
discussions about the ToR of the NMI will be ongoing. Regardless of the
fact that speakers may freely express their views on the pertinence or not
of this initiative, I believe that we could move discussions into a more
useful direction if we ask speakers (and the participants) to share their
views of what could be the main parameters of the ToR of the NMI, which
would make the initiative fulfill its role and be relevant to the
community. What should be its mandate, scope, goals and outputs? In that
way the NMI topic could be explored from a different (and more
constructive) angle.

> Current list of invitees was confirmed as follows:
> - Wolfgang Kleinwaechter (Special Ambassador to the Initiative)
> - Janis Karklins
> - Kathy Brown (ISOC)
> - Ambassador Benedicto Fonseca (Brazil)
>
> If there are no objections, we'll ask Staff to send out the invitations.

Good list of names.

> It was noted that this was a very short session for 30 minutes. Consider
> extending to 40 minutes and reducing topic 2 to 35 minutes?

I agree.

> *Topic 2: Relation between staff and the community regarding IG ecosystem
> topics.*
>
> There are 2 issues we need to address in particular:
> 1. What kind of communication can we put in place to make sure there is a
> heightened level of awareness about what Internet Governance activities are
> anticipated from the Board/Staff. How do we make sure we do not have that
> gap?
> 2. How are staff aware of the needs of the ICANN community? Is this the
> environment in which we do that?
>
> Head to head with a moderator? [ ie. U-shape where invitees face each
> other ]
> Invitees: 3 co-Chairs + Tarek + Anne-Rachel?
> Session Chair? Perhaps one of the CCWG Chairs?
> Specific questions?
>
> Suggestion: in order to provide a strong starting point to the discussion
> of Topic 2, Tarek Kamel to write a blog post and could refer to it during
> Topic 2. This way we save time on describing details and allow more time
> for discussion.

Good suggestion and I agree with a CCWG chair. The role of the CCWG should
be strenghten in IG discusions.

Best wishes,
Marília

--- end ---

Please be so kind to provide your feedback on the above ASAP.

*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio
Researcher and Coordinator - Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law
School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate - www.diplomacy.edu
PoliTICs Magazine Advisory Committee - http://www.politics.org.br/
Subscribe "Digital Rights: Latin America & the Caribbean" -
http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en