[ccwg-internet-governance] recording of today's CCWG on IG call

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 08:51:55 UTC 2015

Hi

> On Jan 30, 2015, at 12:46 AM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> apologies for not having been able to be on the call today.
>
> I have listened to the recording and Re: part 2 of the CCWG's public session, some of the CCWG's participants had made it known in the past that they were not happy with having more updates re: WSIS+10 and other IG events since this looked more like a one way lecturing process, but not a 2-way interaction. I personally think it would be worth having the updates and having Q&A on them.

If one treats these as events on which to have two minute updates to frame things and then organizes it as a discussion, there’s no reason for it to have the one-way lecturing sensibility.  That said, the feeling of some on the call was that a different approach had been suggested on a previous call by a couple people with nobody really objecting, so we ought to stick with that.

We could split the difference: see if we can get a handle on the Staff/Volunteer interaction concept and envision a useful discussion.  If we can’t, take the WSIS+10, ITU, etc. out of our pocket as an alternative.

> It is unfortunate that the proponents of the 2nd topic in the public meeting were not on the call to make their case. I can understand the concerns about looking backwards rather than forwards and the format/content of the presentation of the 2nd topic re: Staff/Volunteer interaction on IG, would be really important to avoid that, but I do note the general pushback against this second topic.
>
> So am I correct to conclude that the ball rests in the court of the proponents of the 2nd topic to make a case for it?

They made a case previously for the importance of the topic (which we are also doing in the F2F group meeting), so what we need now is an action plan for how to conduct a useful discussion, including identification of discussants/‘fire starters’ (not ‘panelists’) and at least three questions/dimensions of the problem we could explore productively for 30 minutes or so.

I’m reluctant to volunteer people without asking them, but time being short, if memory serves Greg and Marilyn were among those who argued for this topic.  It’d be good to know if they and anyone else would be prepared to lead here.

The text at http://singapore52.icann.org/en/schedule/thu-ig <http://singapore52.icann.org/en/schedule/thu-ig> says, "This regular Internet Governance Session, organised with the CCWG on IG issues, will feature "A community-wide discussion on the topic of the NetMundial Initiative and other current IG initiatives and an exploration of the Framework in which ICANN engages the ICANN community on IG issues.”   One would think we should replace that with something less schematic ASAP.

Best

Bill

> On 29/01/2015 17:05, Renate DeWulf wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> If you were unable to join today’s call, please note that the recording, chat room and brief notes are now available on the wiki page.
>> https://community.icann.org/display/CPMMB/CCWG+on+IG+Teleconference+-+2015.01.29 <https://community.icann.org/display/CPMMB/CCWG+on+IG+Teleconference+-+2015.01.29>
>>
>> Best,
>> Renate
>>
>> Renate De Wulf