[ccwg-internet-governance] COMMENTS ON THE DRAFT OUTCOME DOCUMENT (WSIS+10 REVIEW)

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Thu Nov 19 08:47:21 UTC 2015

Good morning

Further to the below we decided it more appropriate to orally brief the Co-facilitators on our thoughts / concerns on the draft Outcome Document (ahead of the governmental discussions starting today). This Veni will do in New York.

He will draw upon, inter-alia, the following thoughts we had.

The assistants to the co-facilitators specifically noted at the IGF their willingness to hear thoughts, comments or suggestions on the Outcome Document; their contact details are

Elina Volksone   elina.volksone at mfa.gov.lv<mailto:elina.volksone at mfa.gov.lv>

Hana Sayed  Hashim Al Hashimi <hana.alhashimi at mofa.gov.ae<mailto:hana.alhashimi at mofa.gov.ae>

Summary

We are delighted to have this opportunity on commenting on the draft Outcome Document that was circulated by the Co-facilitators on 4th November. We were also fortunate in taking part in the excellent open forum session on the WSIS+10 Review at the IGF 2015 last week in Brazil.   The participation of the Co-facilitators was significant in this as was their generous agreement to circulate to the member State Missions a copy of the Session Report.

The draft Outcome Document, building on the earlier Zero Draft, is a substantial and  positive piece of work, both recognising the developments that have taken place in the ICT space since 2005and the real contribution that ICTs can make with respect to development and in particular the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.  One applauds the attention given to this important linkage in the Document and the notion that the WSIS process, looking forward; should primarily concentrate on this nexus. Along with this focus we also applaud the references given to the need for an open and singular Internet; something which is vital for levering economic development and innovation.

We also support, and recognise the need for, factual references to how governance of the Internet has developed since the important agreements in the Tunis Agenda. We would, however, hope that this section might also look forward, referencing the   excellent dialogue taking place in many multi-stakeholder settings; not least the IGF.

Finally, we look forward to seeing a further draft before the final negotiation on the Resolution takes place before the UNGA Session in December.

Detail

Preamble

1.  We would suggest that paragraph 8, clearly important in the recognition of the role ICTs have played, could be rephrased as follows:

“We welcome the remarkable evolution of ICTs and their enhanced diffusion, unseen 10 years ago, which has been underpinned by the contribution of all stakeholders, allowing ICT penetration into all corners of the globe, the growth of social media and innovative business models and enhanced contribution of ICTs to economic growth and development”

2.   In paragraph 12, we would suggest a slightly different approach in this paragraph; changing it to:  “We recognise that the Internet, as a global resource, is currently managed in an open, inclusive and transparent manner, which serves the public interest.  We affirm that such management should continue to be transparent and democratic involving all governments, the private sector, civil society, users and relevant international organisations” ;

ICT for Development

3. In paragraph 17 would suggest referencing national and regional economies as well as the global economy;

Internet Governance

4. In paragraph 50 we would suggest that at the start; the wording should be amended as follows: “We reaffirm that the governance of the Internet should continue to be transparent and democratic involving all governments, the private sector, civil society, users and relevant international organisations. We reiterate the working………Internet”.

5.  In paragraph 54 we think at the start the text should read:  “We acknowledge the unique role of the Internet Governance Forum as a successful and important platform……”

Enhanced Cooperation

6. In paragraph 55 we believe the factual status, as acknowledged in the CSTD “Mapping” exercise, should be reflected by the following text:  “We recognise the initiatives and processes adopted in various fora to allow the participation of governments, alongside other stakeholders, to carry out, on an equal footing their roles and responsibilities, in international……….

7.  In paragraph 56 we would suggest the following text:  “We acknowledge concerns that the appropriate involvement of governments in Internet Government public policy issues should be improved and thus call on Secretary General to provide a report to the 71st session of the General Assembly on the factual situation and, any, appropriate measures to enhance their involvement”