[ccwg-internet-governance] WSIS+10 AND IG PUBLIC SESSION IN DUBLIN

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 4 10:46:59 UTC 2015

Nigelthanks for the placeholder.
One thought: So, at our last meeting in BA we introduced the WSIS+10 processes and tried to describe relevance.
This seems to be phase 2, which is both an update on WSIS+10 processes/timeline as well as an overview of the IGF 2015, with a focus on ICANN's objectives.
To fully utilize the purpose of the CCWG-IG, I urge that the staff present the draft of proposed ICANN objectives for the IGF 2015 to the CCWG-IG, perhaps in  the form of just a short memo, or perhaps on a call, before presenting as a fait acommpi during the CCWG-IG, thus utilizing the stakeholders in the CCWG as advisors and information resources.
Taking that preparatory step would undoubtedly be appreciated by the CCWG-IG.
I do have a couple of questions about the draft write up.
you suggest that this seasion is organized 'with' the CCWG-IG. I thought it was organized by the CCWG-IG, but perhaps I misunderstand.  As it is written it seems to be organized by staff, rather than the CCWG organizing with the support of staff...
Second issue with present write up:"consider other pertinent IG issues, such as calls for the UN to be the platform to regulate all IG issues, including role of ICANN".
This is coming across a a little 'inflammatory in tone, and might be misconveying the realities.
there are proposals for status quo, proposals for minimal changes, proposals for new mechanisms for cyber security/cyber crime [which is not about ICANN's role at all], possible proposals [unclear ] about "enhanced cooperation" among states ... and some of those have 5 supporting states, or 15, or 2, or undefined...
This  public session on Internet Governance issues, organised with the CCWG on IG, will discuss the latest developments on the WSIS+10 Review; preview the IGF 2015 in Brazil and consider other pertinent IG issues; such as calls for the UN to be the platform to regulate all IG issues; including role of ICANN.
I really urge the session to focus on facts, and awareness. There will be the usual 40+ really well informed participants -- from stakeholders, and several GAC members who are carrying dual portfolios so well informed of WSIS+10, IG implications, and also how ICANN role may be implicated... BUT, if you have 800 attendees at ICANN, for instance, only at best 1% of your participants will be likely to truly be well informed about the WSIS+10 processes and implications.
Right now, there is still the question of whether to analyze the original submissions, for instance, and whether there are really resources to undertake that. IF it is done, it would be useful, I think, but we may want to assess what is reasonable to accomplish.  Then, consider how it can be used? I originally thought it would be very useful, but time has passed and now I wonder if resources are available...
When you hold the session, there will be multiple interesting 'factual' resources: the Zero Draft; the submissions/comments on the Zero Draft, and even the actual occurrence of the Stakeholder Consultation day. ; the 1.5 day meeting of the WSIS Council WG, the Internet Public Policy WG/ITU, etc.
Understanding these processes and their implications for IG, and for ICANN seems to me to be the best use of the 90 minutes.
As to describing the 'range of proposals' that are being submitted, it is fair to characterize them as varying broadly, with some including proposed changes .... etc.