[ccwg-internet-governance] UN non-paper follow-up

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Sep 9 16:48:52 UTC 2015

Hello all,

on today's call, the working group looked at the UN non-paper that Nigel
sent to the mailing list a few days ago and that's accessible from
today's call agenda on https://community.icann.org/x/VJpCAw

There were no immediate reactions to the non-paper as items that we
should point out. A consultation is open until only 14 September (yes,
that's very short) and ICANN Staff are now looking at the non-paper to
evaluate whether a response is necessary at this stage. If indeed, then
they will share this proposed response prior to sending it out, as they
have in the past.
Some on the call have seen the apparent lack of real content in this
non-paper as a step backwards. It was generally felt that the non-paper
was "astonishingly anodyne".

However, putting my participant hat on (and setting aside my Chair's
hat), I have asked our local community in the UK and a very sharp eye
has pointed out one concern.

36. We call for increased efforts to improve the extent of ICT data
collection and analysis, including quality of connectivity, such as
speed and consistency; disaggregation of data on ICT connectivity, use,
and creation.

This is drafted in an ambiguous way which could have darker overtones
re: ICT data collection. Surveillance anyone?