[ccwg-internet-governance] [Soac-infoalert] ICANN57 High Interest Topics due by 18 August

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 00:42:41 UTC 2016

I really don't want to focus on the ITU at the ICANN57 CCWG-IG event.
That is of interest to some of us who are the deeply involved, or who are planning to attend personally, but really, my perspective about HyderabadICANN is that we need to remember where we are and who is attending.
If we have the turnout from India that the Indian government hosts want, we will be 40+ % Indian attendees on some days. None of them are following the ITU's events and meetings.
If you propose that we carefully, carefully tease out the specific topics that are directly relevant to ICANN, then I would say: okay, the ITU Council WG on IPP and WSIS are relevant to report on.
WTSA is back to back with ICANN57. It concludes on Nov 3.
It has a limited [but some critical topics relevant to ICANN] but these topics are largely in the ICANN staff capable hands. No one that I know from business who is attending the WTSA is then flying to Hyderabad in person. A few companies will be at WTSA but it is usually different people.
I'd like to suggest that we tread carefully and focus on directly relevant events:
So, where we are in the IANA transition process Highly sensitive and sort f yet to be determined, right?The relevant highlights from the Council WGs -- only the directly relevant pointsWTSA directly relevant outcomes -- highly focusedIGF 2016 and how ICANN is participating including in high level event, Day Zero, Open Forum, workshops
Why Internet Governance matters to ICANN's future success and how ICANN is supporting the larger IG ecosystem growth and evolution
Most attending Hyderabad are not you and me, nor are they members of the CCWG-IG.
We could be in a sensitive time slot, right?
Focusing on the ITU would be difficult for me as well as I think that UNESCO, UNCTAD/CSTD are as important as the ITU. :-)