[ccwg-internet-governance] [Soac-infoalert] ICANN57 High Interest Topics due by 18 August

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed Aug 10 01:03:06 UTC 2016

The comments of Marilyn and Carlos, in my view, underscore two important
issues. One is that the scope of Internet governance and policy setting
goes well beyond the DNS remit of ICANN, and the other is that ICANN
will have to figure out its role as a stakeholder within those wider
governance and policy setting forums. This involves repeated efforts at
clarity around the focus and scope of ICANN’s remit, not just to remind
ourselves, but for those new to ICANN, and for those trying to parse out
what goes where (ICANN, ITU, UNCTAD, countries, etc.) with regard to
various policy issues.

As for ICANN57, I would agree with Marilyn on emphasizing the challenges
within ICANN and its remit, and the challenges facing ICANN within the
larger Internet governance arena. In an Indian context this might
include not just raising awareness about the focus and scope of the
ICANN remit, but examining how that links, or does not link, to issues
that rank high on the Indian Internet ecosystem policy agenda.

Sam L.

On 2016-08-09 8:42 PM, Marilyn Cade wrote:
> I really don't want to focus on the ITU at the ICANN57 CCWG-IG event.
>
> That is of interest to some of us who are the deeply involved, or who
> are planning to attend personally, but really, my perspective about
> HyderabadICANN is that we need to remember where we are and who is
> attending.
>
> If we have the turnout from India that the Indian government hosts
> want, we will be 40+ % Indian attendees on some days. None of them are
> following the ITU's events and meetings.
>
> If you propose that we carefully, carefully tease out the specific
> topics that are directly relevant to ICANN, then I would say: okay,
> the ITU Council WG on IPP and WSIS are relevant to report on.
>
> WTSA is back to back with ICANN57. It concludes on Nov 3.
>
> It has a limited [but some critical topics relevant to ICANN] but
> these topics are largely in the ICANN staff capable hands. No one that
> I know from business who is attending the WTSA is then flying to
> Hyderabad in person. A few companies will be at WTSA but it is usually
> different people.
>
> I'd like to suggest that we tread carefully and focus on directly
> relevant events:
>
> So, where we are in the IANA transition process
> Highly sensitive and sort f yet to be determined, right?
> The relevant highlights from the Council WGs -- only the directly
> relevant points
> WTSA directly relevant outcomes -- highly focused
> IGF 2016 and how ICANN is participating including in high level event,
> Day Zero, Open Forum, workshops
>
> Why Internet Governance matters to ICANN's future success and how
> ICANN is supporting the larger IG ecosystem growth and evolution
>
> Most attending Hyderabad are not you and me, nor are they members of
> the CCWG-IG.
>
> We could be in a sensitive time slot, right?
>
> Focusing on the ITU would be difficult for me as well as I think that
> UNESCO, UNCTAD/CSTD are as important as the ITU. :-)
>

> > From: carlosraulg at gmail.com
> > To: ocl at gih.com
> > Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 07:32:52 -0600
> > CC: ccwg-internet-governance at icann.org
> > Subject: Re: [ccwg-internet-governance] [Soac-infoalert] ICANN57
> High Interest Topics due by 18 August
> >
> > What about IG issues BEFORE Hyderabad, like the ITU World Conference on
> > Standardisation????
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez
> > +506 8837 7176
> > Skype: carlos.raulg
> > Current UTC offset: -6.00 (Costa Rica)
> > On 9 Aug 2016, at 7:29, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > do members of the CCWG-IG think that we should propose an Internet
> > > Governance High Interest Topic for Hyderabad? If yes, perhaps do we
> > > need
> > > a call next week?
> > > Kindest regards,
> > >
> > > Olivier

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
YorkU email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: 613 476-0429 cell: 416-816-2852