[ccwg-internet-governance] [Soac-infoalert] ICANN57 High Interest Topics due by 18 August

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Aug 15 14:18:48 UTC 2016

Dear Marilyn,

thanks for starting the ball rolling. I'll let others address the good
points you have made but wanted to respond directly to one point you
have made:

On 15/08/2016 14:51, Marilyn Cade wrote:

> b) For our high interest IG Public Forum, as we will have a community
> that is new to the global activities, perhaps we can suspend our own
> preferences and focus on what works for our audience. So 50% of our
> time could be what is going on.  and then 50% focused on a key IG issue.
> Frankly, I hope it is not about a delay in the IANA transition, but if
> it is, then so be it and so be us.

I think we need to seek clarification about these public fora.
Traditionally, the High Interest Topic sessions were arranged by
SO/AC/SG/C leadership and topics chosen by them. Thus sessions would be
run by some mutually agreed moderator, traditionally with people from
each SO/AC/SG/C community. There is a looming deadline for proposing
such session. Also, it is quite likely that these sessions will revolve
around the usual ICANN agendas or IANA Stewardship, Accountability, gTLD
subsequent procedures, auction funds etc.
I personally do not think that we should put ourselves on the starting
blocks for this. As a co-chair of the CCWG IG, I have sensed that there
is a downright *hostility* shown by some parts of the community towards
the concept of "Internet Governance" which is not seen as a core
activity, thus why should we put ourselves in a position where we would
be competing for space with the usual ICANN insider stuff?

On the other hand, our Cross Community Working Group has also been
granted a Public Session plus a F2F session.
We have had all control of what our Public Session does, and I would
like to make sure that the CCWG IG's public sessions is not being
replaced by High Interest SO/AC/SG/C sessions. Nigel, could you please
confirm? I just want to make sure we're not being pushed into the SO/AC
high interest session wagon.