[ccwg-internet-governance] 24H consensus call on High Interest Topic public session proposal from CCWG IG

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Aug 17 17:08:45 UTC 2016

Dear all,

on today's CCWG IG call, we discussed the filing of a proposal for a
high interest session in Hyderabad. The deadline is tomorrow Thursday 18
August 2016, so I am issuing a 24H consensus call on the following:

Proposed date: Monday High Interest Topic Session of the ICANN meeting
( see tentative block schedule on:
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann57-hyderabad-what-you-need-to-know
) Rationale: there are less likely to be local people in the week-end
than on Monday. We would like to engage locals as well as regular ICANN
participants
(Desiree will send shortly a 24H DOODLE on your choice of preferred
date: Saturday 5 November, Sunday 6 November, Monday 7 November)

Proposed Preferred Format: Round Table discussion.

Proposed agenda: (Total session time: 90 minutes)

1. Update on CCWG Internet Governance Activities and the wider Internet
Governance space
(30 minutes)
a. CSTD United Nations WG on enhanced cooperation
b. UNESCO special event about the misuse of technology for radicalization
c. IGF - Sustainable Development Goals
d. WTSA

This discussion will focus on how these activities affect ICANN. The
purpose of this section is primarily educational, reporting on
activities and letting the ICANN community ask questions about ICANN's
involvement in these activities

2. Discussion on Fragmentation (60 minutes)

The session starts as an educational session with panellists explaining
the following:
First part: what is fragmentation - and the ISO Stack (primarily levels
1 to 3)
Second part: why fragmentation matters
Third part: how that relates to ICANN / what can ICANN do?

The session then continues into a discussion with the audience participants:

Should ICANN do something about this? Why ICANN should be engaged.
What is ICANN's role in preventing Internet fragmentation?

Material for this includes a chart showing how we are very small but
critical.

--- end of proposed agenda ---

Please respond with comments, amendments, etc. by Thursday 18 August
2016, 15:00 UTC.
Past that deadline, Nigel Hickson will amend the proposal accordingly
and file it with ICANN meetings.