[ccwg-internet-governance] 24H consensus call on High Interest Topic public session proposal from CCWG IG

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:10:03 UTC 2016

Hi

Yes, in Marrakech https://meetings.icann.org/en/marrakech55/schedule/thu-ig  we significantly overloaded the front of the agenda with WSIS+10, so as anticipated there was no time left to have a meaningful discussion of fragmentation.  Rather than spend 15-20 minutes we made an impromptu decision on stage to skip it and carry on with WSIS.  Whether a high interest session is the right context in which to try again depends on whether one believes these should be tightly focused on ICANN’s mission.  OCL’s suggested framing of "what is fragmentation - and the ISO Stack (primarily levels 1 to 3)” excludes much of what people usually focus on when discussing fragmentation, but perhaps this enhances the mission link.  Is that the idea?

Best

Bill

> On Aug 18, 2016, at 11:43, farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Patrik.
>
> Yes Olivier corrected my mistake and I think this time we should only talk about fragmentation.The other questions is if GAC is participating, then they are participating in fragmentation discussion? Are we reaching out to them just to attend the session, or as speakers? sorry it is not clear to me as I could not make it to the meeting yesterday .
>
> On 18 August 2016 at 11:28, Patrik Fältström <paf at netnod.se <mailto:paf at netnod.se>> wrote:
>

> On 18 Aug 2016, at 11:12, Marilyn Cade wrote:
>
> > Actually, as I recall, we ran out of time and did not complete the fragmentation segment with expert speakers.
> > Is my memory correct on this? As I recall...
>
> That is correct.
>
> I am saying being one of the persons (maybe THE person [to blame]) for pushing fragmentation completely off last meeting as I felt it being better to spend the time on what was already discussed and move fragmentation (if at all) to some other meeting.
>
>    Patrik
>

> --
> Farzaneh

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org
The Working Group on Internet Governance - 10th Anniversary Reflections
New book at http://amzn.to/22hWZxC