[ccwg-internet-governance] 24H consensus call on High Interest Topic public session proposal from CCWG IG

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Aug 31 14:08:58 UTC 2016

Hello all,

following up on the consensus call below, the deadline for proposals was
extended to 1 September and this allowed for a good discussion here.
Reading through the feedback, it looks like the following has support
from the WG participants:

--- snip --- snip --- snip ---

Proposed agenda: (Total session time: 90 minutes)
Session Date: Monday 7 November 2016

1. Discussion on Fragmentation (60 minutes)

The session starts as an educational session with panellists explaining
the following:
First part: what is fragmentation - and the ISO Stack (primarily levels
1 to 3)
Second part: why fragmentation matters
Third part: how that relates to ICANN / what can ICANN do?

The session then continues into a discussion with the audience participants:

Should ICANN do something about this? Why ICANN should be engaged.
What is ICANN's role in preventing Internet fragmentation?

Material for this includes a chart showing how we (ICANN) are very small
but critical.

2. Update on CCWG Internet Governance Activities and the wider Internet
Governance space (20 minutes)

a. CSTD United Nations WG on enhanced cooperation
b. UNESCO special event about the misuse of technology for radicalization
c. IGF - Sustainable Development Goals
d. WTSA

This discussion will focus on how these activities affect ICANN. The
purpose of this section is primarily educational, reporting on
activities and letting the ICANN community ask questions about ICANN's
involvement in these activities

3. Wrap up (10 minutes)

--- end of proposed agenda ---

We have asked Nigel to make the required updates to our request.

If this request is refused, then we'll file for a CCWG IG public
session. The difference is that a High Interest Session would likely be
in a larger room than a CCWG IG session.