[ccwg-internet-governance] Fwd: [council] AMENDMENT - Motion on Conditional Participation of the GNSO as a Chartering Organization for CCWG-IG

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Dec 14 18:12:41 UTC 2016

Thanks for your eager follow-up everyone.

Rafik and I have held a call with Nigel Hickson and Desiree Cabrera
earlier today. From this call came several action items:

1. The Doodle Poll which has appeared in your mailboxes. Please fill it
ASAP so we can choose a good time for our next call. This call will
understandably be a process call for the CCWG IG. In this call, we were
going to propose the further AIs below:

2. Propose to the CCWG-IG a two-pronged approach in response to the
GNSO's request:
- review the current Charter by putting it into a table & pointing out
its discrepancies with the guidelines for CCWGs as ratified by the GNSO
Council. Can these discrepancies be fixed? Can the CCWG continue to
operate as a CCWG with amendments made to its charter so it fits into a
CCWG box?
- Rafik has obtained from GNSO Staff a list of other vehicles that could
be used to accomplish the CCWG's mandate. (attached is a DRAFT table on
GNSO Structures & Mechanisms that could be helpful) - we were going to
suggest studying the other vehicles, perhaps proposing a mix of vehicles
that have already been tried and tested. (so there is a precedent)

3. Proposal for the drafting of an Annual Review of Working Group activities

To include:
    - Some of staff reports on CSTD, WTSA etc.
    - Report on WSIS Forum in Geneva - including the note on the CCWG IG
workshop there
    - Reports Rafik and I have made for GNSO in Marrakech & Helsinki
(can take from transcripts)
    - Staff report from IGF workshops in Guagdalajara - on topics that
affect ICANN

Rafik and I were told that there were staff resources available to
facilitate the drafting of this Annual Review, but that with the holiday
period approaching, we should aim at a mid-January date for this. It is
well understood that much of our problems have stemmed from having very
little reporting done back to our respective chartering SOs and ACs, so
having an annual report appears to be helpful. We could also have
monthly reporting starting from January.

Finally, on the suggestion made by Greg to have a sub-drafting team, I
am all for this; I do not think that Charter discussions are the cup of
tea for everyone participating in the CCWG, thus we can form a small
group quickly and it would be great if the sub-group to start operations
by our next call.