[ccwg-internet-governance] CCWG-IG call December 21 - GAC action point

Mark Carvell mark.carvell at culture.gov.uk
Thu Dec 22 11:14:31 UTC 2016

Dear Olivier

Regarding the action point from yesterday's CCWG IG call concerning the
GAC's relationship with CCWG IG, following consultation with the GAC
leadership and Secretariat, I can now advise you of the following:

The GAC decided last year not to join as Chartering Organisation.  The
reasons were set out in the following e-mail which was sent to you on 23
July 2015:

*Dear Olivier,*

*On behalf of the GAC Chair, this is to inform you as Co-Chair of the
CCWG-IG that the GAC has carefully considered the opportunity to join the
CCWG-IG as a Chartering Organization but finally decided to refrain from
engaging in such a capacity. The primary reason is that the GAC as a
Chartering Organization would risk to become a roadblock for documents
agreed by this community exercise, as GAC consensus support for such
documents may be difficult or impossible to achieve. However, rest assured
that there is no lack of GAC interest – on the contrary, many GAC members
have expressed a clear interest in the topics dealt with by the CCWG-IG –
and the GAC would therefore suggest that individual interested GAC members
take part in the activities of the CCWG-IG.*

*Hopefully, such a pragmatic approach would be to the satisfaction of all
concerned and further information on the modalities and options for
individual GAC member participation would be sincerely appreciated.*

*Very best regards*

*Olof*

I will discuss with GAC colleagues how we can promote more contributions to
the work of the CCWG IG by GAC representatives on an individual basis. For
my part, I will speak about this at the next meetings of the European and
Commonwealth representatives on the GAC.

Kind regards - and best wishes to you and CCWG IG colleagues for a merry
festive break and for a successful, prosperous Happy New Year!

Mark

Mark Carvell
​United Kingdom Representative on the Governmental Advisory Committee of
ICANN​

Global Internet Governance Policy
Department for Culture, Media and Sport
mark.carvell at culture.gov.uk