[ccwg-internet-governance] Follow-up to Call of 9 Feb 2016

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Feb 10 00:11:15 UTC 2016

Hello all,

just following-up to our call of 9th Feb 2016.

We had a very lively conversation about the Marrakech Agenda.

As it stands now, based on the discussion so far:

Proposed Public Session in Marrakech (75 minutes total time)
Thursday morning @ 09.00

1. GAC High Level meeting takeaway (5 minutes)
[ This is just going to be a quick summary of the results of the GAC
High Level meeting that took place on the Monday of the meeting. GAC
Chair has confirmed someone from GAC Leadership can do the 5 minute
summary - focussing on any topic relating to Internet Governance which
the High Level Meeting has addressed.]

2. The WSIS+10 process (20 minutes - reduced from 30)
a. main outcomes
b. what to look out for in the future

This session will focus primarily on the future challenges. Panellists
will provide a bit of background but it is hoped this is not just going
to be an uninspired "update session".

Proposed Panellists:
Hana AlHashimi - speaking about the SDGs
Peter Major - speaking about CSTD's Enhanced Cooperation
Chengetai Masango - speaking about IGF extension

[Action Item] Agreement from the call participants to contact the
panellists regarding their availability. Should any of them not be able
to make it, the CCWG IG will need to suggest alternates.

There then follows an open floor discussion for the remainder of this
section time, or until the discussion ends. It is anticipated that if
there is little interest in the room for more discussion on this topic,
the Coordinator(s) will be able to move on to the next agenda item, thus
giving it more time.

3. Discussion about Fragmentation vs. Openness (30 minutes)

This is a discussion about Internet fragmentation in the context of
ICANN. As we know, there has been concern about the single root, about
universal acceptance of IDN ad other new gTLDs, about demands for
Country Internet Registries, amongst a lot of other things. This part of
the session is aimed at stimulating a good discussion about these issues
in the ICANN Community. Several inputs are proposed to trigger discussions:

Inputs:
WEF - fragmentation paper (presented by Bill Drake?)
OECD debate on this topic - with possible topics of discussions in the
forthcoming meeting in Cancun. (Presented by who?)
The process of the World Internet Conference (WIC), Wuzhen Summit
(Presented by who?)
Other Contexts in the names and numbers (Presented by who?)

I had suggested that The Wuzhen conference should not be discussed
explicitly due to its sensitivity. There was strong pushback about this,
whilst it was felt that the aim of the discussion in the session would
be on the conference itself, not on the current controversy relating to
ICANN CEO & Board members.

We need to choose panellists for this second part of the session.

We could distribute rating sheets to all participants in the session, to
collect their feedback on their Agenda topic preferences, 1, 2, 3, in
order to guide us for future CCWG IG Public meetings.

F2F Working Group Session
Wednesday @ 10.45

Please contribute the topics which you think we should discuss.

1. WSIS Forum Workshop Preparation.
We need to focus on this whilst we are sitting face to face, so refine
the workshop, its structure and propose participants.

2. Discussion on the Purpose of the Working Group and Effectiveness in
providing guidance to Staff.
Based on the WG's operation since its inception, has the CCWG IG
delivered on its charter? As a new CEO takes office at ICANN, a F2F
discussion on this topic would greatly benefit the CCWG IG in planning
for its future. Can improvements be made?

As this topic has come up before, I would suggest that this discussion
not only involves WG participants but also ICANN Staff and perhaps also
Board members for their point of view, as to what benefit they see from
the working group. The aim of this discussion is to make improvements to
the WG's returns.

--- end of proposed agendas

Comments welcome!